PDA

View Full Version : NOVA DVR XP Lathe Indexing Problem

bdfairlie
22nd August 2012, 08:03 PM
Hi Guys

I have a NOVA DVR XP that is just coming up to 12 months old. Great lathe, ideally suited to my requirements with some really good features.

Over the last few months it has developed a problem. The indexing mechanism has developed some angular "slop", which has gradually increased, until now it amounts to more than 1 1/2 degrees; a situation I find totally unacceptable.

I have checked the tightness of the indexing pin mechanism in the lathe casing. No movement there. The "slop" appears to be the result of an increasingly sloppy fit between the indexing pin and the housing that attaches to the casing (between items number 47 - index pin - fan and 48 - guide bush in the parts breakdown diagram in the manual).

Has anybody else experienced this problem? What is the cause? Presumably I can obtain replacement parts (under Warranty?) but will the same thing happen again?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bruce

Bluegum
22nd August 2012, 08:47 PM
Hi Doug,

I think if I were you then I would be contacting my place of purchase or Nove at least. I have recently bought a nova 1624 lathe and I am very happy with it. But I Would be checking with the supplier or nova at least. Sorry for not being able to shed any real light on your situation.

Jim Carroll
22nd August 2012, 09:13 PM
The indexing system on the nova lathes are not supposed to be used for exact increments. This also goes for other brands as well.

They are made for general use and not for unlocking chucks or faceplates and this is where you will find most of the wear comes from.

If you want to use the lathe for indexing accurately then you really need to buy an aftermarket system like Vermec make.
This will also give you a larger range than available on most lathes.