PDA

View Full Version : Whats your Jigsaw?

John Saxton
21st February 2001, 09:03 PM
All you folk out there that own a Jigsaw can you tell what you have and what you think about it?

I am in the market for a new Jigsaw and would appreciate any feedback.

Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

Iain
21st February 2001, 09:12 PM
I've got an old Makita (pendulum action? whats that?) it has served me well for over twenty years and if this is indicative of Makita it can't be bad. It's copped a hiding at times too.

------------------

Chris Longworth
21st February 2001, 10:14 PM
Hi John.
I have a Makita also which I have had for about eight years. It’s been very good to me & has had a hard life with my main work being kitchen installations. It’s getting a little tired now & I’m actually looking at replacing it with a Festo. It is expensive I know, but has a great cutting action & for the amount of use I will put it to, it will pay for it’s self in now time.

Rod Smith
22nd February 2001, 01:28 PM
G'day. I've got a makita (bv model), bought it about 8 years ago, the salesman said that the design was unchanged for about 15 years. Basic machine, variable speed, works ok for me. A comment he made re recipro action, was that the angle on the back of the blade replicated this? Sounds like crap to me? Any comment?
Rod

John Saxton
22nd February 2001, 07:57 PM
Thanks to you guy's for your responses...I think I'll check out the WW show in Perth and see if I can play one seller against the other whilst checking out the various options available.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

Dave in Cairns
22nd February 2001, 08:30 PM
I've been using an old Makita 4300BV for about 9 years. The variable speed control sh*t itself early on in the piece but apart from that it works fine. Come to think of it all of my power tools that are over 8 years old are Makitas and still gowing strong.

STEPHEN MILLER
25th February 2001, 10:42 AM
G"day to add a different name I got a Lesto Jigsaw its Bloody marvelous has recipcal action makes iight work of 50 mm timber dont know if you can still buy Lesto jigsaws it is 15 years old and still going strong
Steve

BrianT
6th August 2003, 10:44 AM
G,day John,

I appreciate this is almost ancient history but which jigsaw did you end up purchasing.

And are you :D or :mad: with the choice.

Cheers

Brian @ Burra and wish it would rain :cool:

Daniel
6th August 2003, 04:46 PM
Just a word of advice Makita's now are not what they were, its a competitive market out there now so a lot of Makita tools are made in China.

I do not know if this will affect there quality, time will tell though. At present I have three makita saws and can only swear by one which is the 7 1/4. I rate them as a mid range tool, not the best or the worst.

Have a close look at the German gear, it may cost a bit more but the end result is positive. My jigsaw is a bosch heavy duty unit costing about $300 nine years ago. I regulary cut through hardwood stair strings which are 35mm thick, it goes through it like cheese.

Daniel

BrianT
6th August 2003, 05:08 PM
Thanks Daniel,

Back in ancient times - the '70's, I was a sales rep for an industrial wholesaler with a section selling Bosch, AEG and Makita which was then very new to OZ. I agree the quality of Makita was top class and well received by the w/working trade at the time.

I have a feeling it's going to be either AEG or Bosch.

Regards
Brian

derekcohen
6th August 2003, 05:18 PM
John (and all)

I too have a variable speed Makita (4300BV ??). Probably going on about 8 years old.

Likes: reliable, powerful enough, solidly built, feels balanced.

Dislikes: Bloody noisy, lack of dust control, archaic blade-changing system.

Regards from Perth

Derek

derekcohen
6th August 2003, 05:21 PM
John (and all)

I too have a variable speed Makita (4300BV ??). Probably going on about 8 years old.

Likes: reliable, powerful enough, solidly built, feels balanced.

Dislikes: Bloody noisy, lack of dust control, archaic blade-changing system.

Regards from Perth

Derek

ndru
6th August 2003, 11:06 PM
6+ months ago I bought the Milwaukee (owned by Atlas Copco) jigsaw (their only one available in Australia). Its a barrel grip unit and I think it is the same as Atlas Copco's barrel grip model, just a different livery.

https://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/met/html/images/mediumprod/6276-21.jpg

I used it to cut through a large amount of sheet metal and corrugated roofing over few weekends. I've also bevel cut chipboard, melamine and pine with it. This is one of my better purchases. Its well balanced but solid, fairly quiet (although cutting sheet metal requires hearing protection), has good dust control and the toolless blade change is fantastic - it beats the hell out of those poxy allen key blade changes! The base also has positive stops for 45, 90 and -45 degrees and dust collection is integrated.

Daniel
6th August 2003, 11:25 PM
When I made the previous post I did not have the bosch jigsaw with me.

I have the jigsaw in my hands now and its a GST 85PBE, depth of cut 85mm, 580 watt motor, SDS blade system, variable speed, sawdust blower, three stage oscillation?

Over the christmas break I took about 15 electrical tools that had been acumulating over the years in for repair, out of the 15 about six machines returned and I remember repairer going through the pile and picking out the good from the bad and he came across two 2 speed bosch jigsaws that must at least be 20 plus years old, he said without hesitation what a fantastic machine these are you will never blow them up.

These two jigsaws were two of the six tools that returned, the only problem with them is they take the old blades which are a bit hard to get now.

Daniel

journeyman Mick
7th August 2003, 12:37 AM
Had the old variable speed Makita, got rid of it because i got sick of the noise and vibration and the fact that it sounded old and rattly from day one. Bad move I should've kept it, it's still going strong for my mate and its 10+ years old. I got the newer Makita, tooless blade change, "D" handle, varaible speed, pendulum action. It's been superceded since then but it is a piece of c*@p. It had hardly any use in the warranty period as I was working as a supervisor. 2 months out of warranty and the knob (which controls the toolless blade change) fell off one day as I pulled it out of the box. Then about 6 months later the pendulum action stopped. I still have it and it still works but I'm not happy:mad:

Mick

Zed
7th August 2003, 10:06 AM
I've got a Makita 4305T and couldnt be happier with it, loads of power and goes through anything - reciprico action. I sawed trhough some stainless steel sheeting for my wifes laundry tub and it cut like butter! nice and round too!

heres the blurb fromthe web site :
Length of stroke: 26 mm Max. cutting capacities In wood at 90deg: *110mm In steel at 90deg: 10 mm Continuous rating Input: 600 W Strokes per minute: 500 - 3,000 Overall length: 287 mm Net weight: 2.4 kg *Use with optional blade (B-16L) - Features Double Insulation Variable Speed feature • No tools needed for blade replacement • New body-grip and knob design for steady two-handed control • Dial-adjustable variable speed • Your choice of straight and 3 different orbital cutting actions • New aluminium base and foot changes to match cutting materials

and the pic:

kenmil
7th August 2003, 06:13 PM
I have a GMC and a Festo, and as you might expect, the Festo is a better machine, but I have no real complaints with the GMC either. I previously had a Bosch, and it worked hard for about 5 years until it died.

John Saxton
7th August 2003, 08:07 PM
Hi I ended up with the same as Zed(4305 Makita) has mentioned above and am more than happy with it.
Was recommended by my local tool bloke as a reasonable model considering the amount of times I use it which is only occassional.

I have'nt cut metal with it yet (I generally use NIBBLER)but am not surprised as it has an aggressive nature to it.

Cheers:)

TOMARTOM
7th August 2003, 10:08 PM
After the old Makita had that much runnout, I bought a new Makita, 700+watts and quite a good unit for commercial use, like the tooless blade changing system too.

regards Tony

BrianT
8th August 2003, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the 'loan' of your original thread John and greatly appreciate everyone's comments - a great help. Now to check the prices.

Cheers,

Brian @ Burra. :)

Pulpo
8th August 2003, 06:40 PM
I have or did have a GMC, not sure whether its still in the shed.

It was rubbish.

Design was hopeless. blade change was a pain. the blade action seemed to be far from smooth.

It was too much like hard work to use.

I do have some other GMC tools and they are not this bad.

I would look at the AEG or Milwaukee both Atlas Copco.

Talk to a repairer of power tools they will give you great feedback.

Good Luck

Pulpo

stevepay
9th August 2003, 08:47 PM
just putting my 2 cents worth in, I have a Dewalt, model escapes me at the moment but have not had any problems with it since new. it doesn't have toolless blade removal but is still a nice piece of gear, not cheap though and have had it 4 years.

steve;)