PDA

View Full Version : Theatre set

Andy Mac
23rd August 2012, 08:55 PM
Hello,
I have been working on a set I designed for an outdoor theatre production of Shakespeare, and thought I'd post a progress shot.
It is 4.5m high and 8m wide when opened (there are two wings which are hinged and run on HD castors). Made from 50 x 25 RHS and 25 x 25 RHS, MIG welded, with many bolted joins to get it out of the workshop and onto stage.
Here it is partly sheeted with 4mm bracing ply, which will be covered with polystyrene, then PVA/muslin before painting. I have 4 weeks to go before bump-in :oo:
I also have included a photo of the design model I made from balsa, 1:25 scale.

Cheers,

GSRocket
23rd August 2012, 09:30 PM
I'm impressed.
That is a lot of thinking and a lot of work.
At least it should get many years of use.

Andy Mac
23rd August 2012, 09:42 PM
At least it should get many years of use.

No, that is not how it works. I've built about 4 sets for this event, and each year they do another play, with a new design. So these get trashed, unfortunately, and not much is able to be reused! I put larger bits aside over the years, but in the end it was just rubbish, rusting away and taking up space so we put it in a metal recycle skip.
Two months of work for a three week season :( That's theatre. At least this is my design, so I'm having extra fun!:)

Andy Mac
18th September 2012, 06:30 PM
Well almost finished now, only a couple of things to finish off with the brush then its ready to dismantle and bump in next Monday. If you're around Toowoomba come and see the show, Richard III at USQ (http://www.usq.edu.au/shakespeare/richard)
A couple of photos, with the set open and closed.

Thanks for the interest :rolleyes: 233249233250
Cheers,

Stustoys
18th September 2012, 06:37 PM
Wow looks a million dollars from this side ;)
Great work Andy.

Stuart

yaryetnom
18th September 2012, 09:47 PM
Mate that is great.

Ray

GSRocket
20th September 2012, 04:12 PM
Impressed!.... Really impressed