PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Turned Shape

old pete
24th August 2012, 10:20 AM
Hi all Forumites,

Is there anyone out there who knows how this shape is produced. I'd be very grateful for your advice.

Cheers Old pete

nz_carver
24th August 2012, 12:22 PM
Turned then carved

RETIRED
24th August 2012, 01:35 PM
As NZ said or on an ornamental lathe.

dr4g0nfly
25th August 2012, 06:37 AM
Either carved or a filed - I've seen similar done with a (chain-saw) file. They are single cut like Mill Files, work well on wood.

Mobyturns
27th August 2012, 12:15 AM
By cable driven router lathe, something like a Legacy Ornamental Mill or similar. Google "router lathe" or "Legacy Ornamental Mill ". :) & also Harvey Fein

HARVEYFEIN.NET (http://www.harveyfein.net/fein_woods/jig/index.html)

old pete
27th August 2012, 04:29 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for those pointers folks. I'm following through on the WWW list that Mobyturns sent me. Some inspirational stuff there particularly with the inventiveness of Harvey Fein. After I got the response from NZcarver I ran my dial calipers over the sample. The similarity of dimensions right round the sample says machine machine machine! If i follow through on this I'll post on the results.

Cheers Old Pete

Mobyturns
27th August 2012, 11:26 PM
OP, Harvey Fein is an incredible turner. His pics should get you going on how the rig operates, I guess for your intended purpose the routers traversing axis would be inclined to the lathes spindle axis.

Willy Nelson
30th August 2012, 12:17 AM
A little similar to a Dean Malcolm turned shape. He mounts the wood in a traditional lathe, but has made a jig to mount a router and carve out the flutes. As the pice is slowly turned the router moves longitudinally in proportion
Sincerely

Willy