PDA

View Full Version : Tinker castings:tool and cutter grinding jig.

B5MEC
24th August 2012, 03:47 PM
Hey everyone,
I have managed to find at my uncles a three set of original [TINKER CASTINGS:oo:] and i believe some of the other bits needed, to build a tinker tool and cutter grinding jig. I was after the part list to see how many bits of it i have:? to see if it is feasable for building one on a super budget. If anyone has any information that would help, i would be much appriciated. As i would like to know how many parts of it i have before i make the decision to build:doh: or sell before i try and order the plans.
Thanks Laurence

MacPuddock
24th August 2012, 06:59 PM
Guy Lautard sells the plans for the Tinker and has a web page discussing the build. Apparently there are two, nearly identical, castings in the set.

Lautard.Com - THE TINKER TOOL AND CUTTER GRINDING JIG (http://lautard.com/tinker.htm)

Some notes by a person who built the Tinker,

Tinket Tool and Cutter (http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/tinker/tinker.html)

Cheers,

Findlay.

B5MEC
27th August 2012, 05:44 PM
Hey,
Thanks Findlay for the response, I was hoping to find some other web page that has a part needed list.
Any chance you know anyone who has built one as Im not sure about the hard parts needed, I believe the hard parts needed are [1 slide casting & 2 other identical castings] then collets of different sizes. After that Im presuming the rest of it is machined from round and square block steel?:? NOT SURE. I have some other lathe bits that he had stored away, not sure if any of it is for the T&C jig.
Is the only way to find out to order the plans for it?
Thanks Laurence.

MacPuddock
27th August 2012, 10:23 PM
Laurence,

I don't personally know anyone who has built a Tinker.
Looking at the picture, there are two castings in the set (although Mr Tinker intended it to be built from bar stock). You will need a largish lathe to bore the journals (or a mill).
I would buy a parallel-shaft ER collet adaptor to use as the toolholder.

I guess it will depend on your equipment and experience as to how you go about it.

What do you intend to sharpen?

Picture of the Tinker for reference.

Findlay.

TKO
27th August 2012, 11:28 PM
Hi BSMEC, have just read the interesting article on the Tinker cutter Grinder and when I came to the part which showed the Mini Tinker cutter.it is very much lie the Ramac cutter grinder I made from the Model engineers Workshop magazine staring I think no 76 over 5 monthly installments this is the Ramac that I builtit it is very similar,to the Mini Tinker dont you think,

eskimo
28th August 2012, 11:14 AM
Hi BSMEC, have just read the interesting article on the Tinker cutter Grinder and when I came to the part which showed the Mini Tinker cutter.it is very much lie the Ramac cutter grinder I made from the Model engineers Workshop magazine staring I think no 76 over 5 monthly installments this is the Ramac that I builtit it is very similar,to the Mini Tinker dont you think,

Hi TKO
do you have plans ?

TKO
28th August 2012, 12:35 PM
Hi escimo, the plans for the Ramac are in the magazines,now I am not much good at scannin magazines ,I will try an if not succesful I will have to think of another way, the Raymac is made all in steel and a bit of bronze, there are no castings I am not fitter and turner so if you are it would be a piece of cake for you to make as I made the coletts as well,I will keep in touch .

Eddie

MacPuddock
28th August 2012, 12:45 PM
TKO, Nice job!

How do you prevent rusting on the bare metal?

Eskimo, The plans were in (I think) Model Engineer's Workshop Magazine. If not, they are in Model Engineer Mag.
Ray Macmahon Is a very skilled model engineer - He put a lot of thought into his design.
I do have the plans somewhere in whichever magazine they were published. I will see if I can find the outline and rationale that Ray wrote - might help you make up your mind about it.

There are 4 designs around that are really worth considering as a home build that no not require castings. Depending on what you want to sharpen, a simpler design may be adequate.

1. Harold Holt's grinder jig. Plans available in Workshop Practice No 38 Tool & Cutter Grinding. About $10
2. The Raymac
3. The Brooks. Based on the Stent, published in (I think) Model Engineer
4 The Bonelle. A Quorn type grinder with improvements and built from barstock. Plans downloadable Bonelle TCG (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.b.d.willis/bonelle_tcg.htm)

Cheers,

Findlay.

Bryan
28th August 2012, 12:54 PM
1. Harold Holt's grinder jig. Plans available in Workshop Practice No 38 Tool & Cutter Grinding.

Hall. I think you'll find it's Harold Hall. In case anyone is searching.
I think Harold Holt was a Prime Minister who liked a swim.

MacPuddock
28th August 2012, 01:10 PM
>>Hall. I think you'll find it's Harold Hall. In case anyone is searching.
I think Harold Holt was a Prime Minister who liked a swim.<<

You are correct, don't quite know how I managed that. Thanks for the correction.

Harold's web site is worth a look; Harold Hall&#39;s website index. A to C (http://www.homews.co.uk/page463.html)

Cheers,

Findlay.

MacPuddock
28th August 2012, 04:01 PM
I have dug out my scans of the RayMac grinder and am uploading an outline for Eskimo.

Cheers,

Findlay

TKO
28th August 2012, 08:42 PM
Hi there Findlay,When the Ramac is not in use it is always covered up,and I keep a look out for Rust,I am glad that you have the scand plans, I did scan some of the Magazines to day ,there are 5 editions and you do need all the editions to build this machine as youl no doubt know,So I wont worry about the rest of them.

Eddie.

MacPuddock
28th August 2012, 08:54 PM
Hello Eddie,

I scanned all my MEWs some time ago - I just had to find them.
There is a total of 31 pages from 5 issues on the RayMac.

Cheers,

Findlay.

Ueee
28th August 2012, 10:07 PM
Hi Findlay,
Could you post all the pages? I'm not sure if if that would infringe copyright?
If not, is there any chance of emailing them to me? I can PM you my email if you would be able to do so.
Cheers

Big Shed
28th August 2012, 10:14 PM
Hi Findlay,
Could you post all the pages? I'm not sure if if that would infringe copyright?
If not, is there any chance of emailing them to me? I can PM you my email if you would be able to do so.
Cheers

Yes, that would infringe copyright and we would have to delete them.

MacPuddock
28th August 2012, 10:17 PM
G'Day Ewan,

23Mb in total so email isn't the best option.

I have been giving this a bit of thought, obviously can't post them (Size and copyright issues). I will take a look at Dropbox, the snag with that is the recipient needs to install a client unless Dropbox has changed since I last used it.

I am open to any other reasonable solution.

Cheers,

Findlay.

Ueee
28th August 2012, 10:17 PM
Yes, that would infringe copyright and we would have to delete them.

Thought so....

Findlay, I'll PM you

TKO
28th August 2012, 11:01 PM
Hi there all ,what would be the price of the 5 back issues Nos 76--80 if they are still available,which has all the plans and details you would need to build the Raymac,They go back to September 2001 a long time,

If ueee come's up with a sollution all well and good, if not `my tiny brain might have one.

Eddie.

B5MED sorry I mispelt you name,and you arn't getting much help at the moment.

Ueee
28th August 2012, 11:21 PM
Eddie,
They are not available on the MEW website. You would need to pay for a years archive access, 30 quid.
:hijacked:

Michael G
29th August 2012, 08:01 AM
I managed to find an old copy of ME I was chasing at the State library some years back. It may be worth talking to your local library and see whether an inter-library loan will help.

Michael

eskimo
29th August 2012, 10:26 AM
yousendit.com can send big files

Stustoys
29th August 2012, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the scans/links guys.

Great work Eddie.

I think Harold Holt was a Prime Minister who liked a swim.
And they named a swimming pool after him!

Stuart

fxst
29th August 2012, 03:40 PM
As I would not like to see tis site get in trouble for breaching copyright ff anyone has the MEW mags with the Raymac plans I would be interested in aquiring them as its a tool I need :D. I would pay a fair price & postage
just pm me
Pete

MacPuddock
30th August 2012, 08:27 PM
OK, so a couple of folks are going to be building RayMacs:D
Hope to see Build logs here!

To return to the question from the OP, does the collective knowledge of the group have any knowledge of the Tinker? I can't find much about it. Guy Lautard sells the plans and apparently so does Plough Book Sales in Victoria.

Plough Book Sales: The Tinker tool & Cutter Griding Jig plans (http://www.ploughbooksales.com.au/012019.htm)

B5MEC - if you are at all interested in the RayMac T&C grinder - PM me.

Cheers,

Findlay.

B5MEC
3rd September 2012, 02:39 PM
Hey,
Thanks everyone for posting, to Findlays question of what I will use it for, at the moment I have many blunt pencils:U, as im still looking for a lathe, mill, surrface grinder, so I will need it for mill cutters eventually. Now that you guys have shown me
that there oh so many different jigs that are buildable, my decision is so much harder to make:C Im very impressed with all of the designs and am keen to build them eventually.[AT LEAST 1 OF THE JIGS & HAROLD HALLS PRECISION GRIND TABLE] so until I can make the decision of which one to build, I might have to hide them under my project bench. Thanks TKO for the pic of your RAMAC :2tsup:
A1 job, very nice. I might have to check the local libary to see if they have MODEL ENGINEERS MAG. Is it a 3 phase motor on it?
Thanks everyone
Laurence

TKO
3rd September 2012, 08:31 PM
Hi B5MEC,It is a single phase motor,I used the smaller one it had ,for another job,so I am looking for another small motor so that I can use Part of the Raymac on the lathe.

Eddie

B5MEC
5th September 2012, 04:55 PM
Hey, Thanks Eddie
I love the idea of the RAMAC for the grinder set up, to many bench grinders are never enough:D Is the motor bigger than a 3/4hp motor off a drill press?
THANKS
LAURENCE

Jors
25th September 2012, 04:41 AM
Hi there all ,what would be the price of the 5 back issues Nos 76--80 if they are still available,which has all the plans and details you would need to build the Raymac,They go back to September 2001 a long time,

If ueee come's up with a sollution all well and good, if not `my tiny brain might have one.

Eddie.

B5MED sorry I mispelt you name,and you arn't getting much help at the moment.

I have access to MEW but it takes forever to load the pages, so I would not gladly browse the whole books.
Can someone please be so kind to quote the magazine number and the relevant pages please.

Some projects also make use of pull out centre pages (plans) that is not available for browsing. How do you get this should it be applicable?

MacPuddock
25th September 2012, 11:26 AM
I have access to MEW but it takes forever to load the pages, so I would not gladly browse the whole books.
Can someone please be so kind to quote the magazine number and the relevant pages please.

Some projects also make use of pull out centre pages (plans) that is not available for browsing. How do you get this should it be applicable?

Jors,

No 76, Pages 33 - 39. No 77, Pages 21 - 26. No 78, Pages 36 - 41. No 79, Pages 36 - 41, No 80, Pages 42 - 46

The inserts stopped some time before issue 76 (I have 1 - 100) All the Raymac information in the original article are in the 5 issues quoted.

Regards,

Findlay.

Jors
25th September 2012, 10:38 PM
Thank a lot. Will download as soon as I can.

Regards

Johan.

Jors
26th September 2012, 03:00 AM
I couldn't wait and have downloaded all 31 pages. Now to print and study.

Regards

Johan.