PDA

View Full Version : can you smell smoke?

azzrock
25th August 2012, 04:57 AM
Unfortunately the vfd for my colchester failed.
im having discussions with the supplier about a replacement.

Kraehe
25th August 2012, 09:21 AM
Nasty. What brand was it please? Can you identify the reason it failed?

Regards, K.

azzrock
25th August 2012, 02:32 PM
hi k
its a Huanyang about a year old. a 2.2kw one spinning a 1.5kw motor.
i don't know what caused the melt down i was doing some light facing
and it tripped the breaker.
the next day. i reset the breaker turned it on and the drive smoked and then caught fire.
The e bay seller replied quickly to my response and seemed very cooperative.
Unfortunately his reply to my emails have slowed up.
At first i thought he was going to seen a new drive. Its annoying because the lathe is out of action. ill have to move evry thing from around my hurcus.

Ben Dono
25th August 2012, 04:18 PM
Sometimes electronics just meltdown! That's a bit rotten really. The 1yr warranty 'thing' always seemed a little short in my book. It comes across as if you get more than a years use out of that product your in luck.
I remember when I built my belt grinder, I picked up a baldor vfd. The tec guys were very helpful and told me to match the kw of the vfd to the kw of the motor and not to step up to a bigger vfd. I was thinking the expensive electronics would last longer if not driven so hard. They changed my mind at the time.
Baldor make some damn good gear and I cannot fault it as yet. I think it's about 3 hrs old now. The tec guys were really helpful.

Ben Dono
25th August 2012, 04:21 PM
Just another thought, did you have it in an enclosure? I put an extra computer fan to pull cool air through a filter to keep mine running cooler.

Acco
25th August 2012, 08:31 PM
Just another thought, did you have it in an enclosure? I put an extra computer fan to pull cool air through a filter to keep mine running cooler.

I was going to ask this as well, because the first pic looks like it is mounted in a box etc.

azzrock
25th August 2012, 10:05 PM
it was in the enclosure but i always run it with the door open.
it wasn't hot and at the time it cought fir wasn't even spinning the motor.
from what i understand the drive should be at least 1/3 bigger
than the motor or even up to 3 times the rating of the motor.
Its got a 2 year warranty.
it was very cheap. . hopefully they will send a new one
its just interesting that it caught fire.

eskimo
26th August 2012, 11:58 AM
you let all the smoke out..thats what wrong with it:D

1 year old...not good :((...wonder if mine (also a Huanyang) will even work...when I get around to fitting it

eskimo
26th August 2012, 12:06 PM
its just interesting that it caught fire.

maybe one of the capacitors overheated and caught fire???

although and i just recalled a 10hp inverter drive airconditioner that I repaired a yr or so back...the inverter went up in smoke ..Cause.... a moth get caught inside and shorted out the PCB high voltage side ...thus also letting out all the smoke

oh and the unit was inside the warranty period..... but warranty doesnt cover this sort of damage

Hoofie
27th August 2012, 01:59 AM
One of the problems with some cheap chinese electronics is poor quality parts or even counterfeits. A certain well known Australian electrical manufacturer was burned by this- the specified diodes or some other component were switched for a lower spec which was fine until many of them started to fail. This resulted in a mass replacement of thousands of devices that had been built, bought and installed in electrical installations. Some serious money was spent on fixing it.

azzrock
30th August 2012, 02:30 AM
i was happy with it . i just want a replacement. i haven't heard from them in over A week