PDA

View Full Version : Sanders

Mal
11th March 2001, 01:23 AM
I'm in the market for a new sander. My old one is a crappy cheap little thing which is thoroughly worn out and I'm looking at stepping up the quality scale somewhat. The main three I'm looking at are a Metabo (duo?), Bosch (can't remember the model number but has a blue case and is 6") and a Festo. Anyone had any experience with these or any other advice?

Iain
11th March 2001, 09:00 AM
Festo Rotex 150 is what John Saxton (who I think is at present in NZ)and I use. It is an extremely versatile unit with variable speed and two functions, it is a ROS and with a twist of a large kbob on the side of a gearbox it becomes a rotary sander.
I use as low as 30grit to remove saw marks from redgum and equally hard woods and progress throuh to 1200 grit for burnishing.
Use the rotary for rapid stock removal and ROS for finishing. There is a dust extraction port on the back of the unit and you should use this as it ensures the tool runs cool, I've got mine hooked up to an old vacuum cleaner with a Triton (look Barry) bucket. I also use a HPM remote switch for the vacuum.
In appearance it looks like an angle grinder and has deviated from the 'normal' sander design but it is easy to use, in fact it's a pleasure to use.
It also comes with a three year warranty.
In summary, I think it's a ball tearer and I love it. One negative, don't expect too much change out of $600.00.