PDA

View Full Version : Austolite shaper

morrisman
27th August 2012, 10:46 AM
hi

I was surprised to find out that a copy of the little ATLAS shaper was made here in Melbourne

Austolite Shaper (http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlasshaper/page2.html)

Has anyone ever seen one ? Or know of one anywhere ?

Mike

welder
27th August 2012, 11:19 AM
No idea were there is one but they look like a nice machine. I have an Atlas shaper small but surprisingly versatile.

shedhappens
27th August 2012, 06:39 PM
G/day Mike, I have the same model as the one in the bottom picture, I have been looking for an owner of one of these to try to get some info and maybe some photo's of a couple of bit's that are missing off mine.

I did find an ebay ad and I contacted the bloke and he told me the one he had sold was the smaller one, so no luck there, I also have left a private message to another bloke at PM and he hasn't logged in to PM since April (I think).

Somehow I don't think that there are to many Austolites in existence :C

morrisman
27th August 2012, 06:57 PM
G/day Mike, I have the same model as the one in the bottom picture, I have been looking for an owner of one of these to try to get some info and maybe some photo's of a couple of bit's that are missing off mine.

I did find an ebay ad and I contacted the bloke and he told me the one he had sold was the smaller one, so no luck there, I also have left a private message to another bloke at PM and he hasn't logged in to PM since April (I think).

Somehow I don't think that there are to many Austolites in existence :C

OK

I will keep an an eye out for the larger Austolite version , if I see one, I will let you know . .

I've seen the large shapers e.g., over a ton in weight, sell for scrap prices at clearing sales . They are just too heavy and difficult to move, and they take up a lot of space .

shedhappens
27th August 2012, 07:15 PM
Thanks Mike,

I think mine weighs 2 tonnes, I had a crane truck lift it onto a small banana back truck that was legally (supposedly) able to carry 2.5 tonnes so I could get it down the hill into my shed, I first put the shaper about 600mm from the side of the tray to make it easier to get off will the forklift in the shed, hahaha no go there, the tray was hard on the tyre so it had to be put in the middle of the tray, the tray was then about an inch off the wheels and they did rub a bit on the short journey down the hill.

yep they are heavy :o