PDA

View Full Version : The Tool Exchange in Keilor Road, Niddrie. Gone?

Anorak Bob
27th August 2012, 10:59 AM
I was wondering if the above was still around. I called the listed number to no avail.

John had some nice stuff in his shop and I was keen on a revisit next week. No point getting on the tram if the shop's gone.:no:

Are there any other secondhand tool shops of interest in the country's tool capital?

BT

kwijibo99
27th August 2012, 02:20 PM
G'day Bob,
Save yourself the trip as the tool exchange is no more.
The last time I was there (about 18 months ago) he said he was going to close up shop and trade online as the overheads were too much.
I reckon I saw some items a while ago on ebay with his familiar label attached but weather it was him or not I can't say.
I used to love going there and poking around, he always had some really nice stuff and his prices were fairly reasonable too.
I don't think I ever left there empty handed.
There was another one on Mt Alexander Rd Moonee Ponds but I think it has closed too.
I think the cost of paying for a shop vs. ebay fees has spelt the end of good used tool shops in the city.
Cheers,
Greg.

Anorak Bob
27th August 2012, 03:22 PM
That's a blow Greg.:no:

Ebay does make it easy for us when it comes to shopping but it isn't a substitute for the excitement of entering a shop full of goodies. I remember Ryan's in Elizabeth Street back in 1994. Wall to wall Stahlwille. Another one gone. Why buy German when you can buy Chinese.

I noticed on my last trip that the Technical Bookshop had disappeared from Swanston Street. While there's a profusion of second hand book shops in Melbourne, technical books are few and far between, probably gobbled up by the "book machinists" on this forum.:U

Maybe I'll have to settle for drinking and eating in the tool capital.

BT

kwijibo99
27th August 2012, 04:07 PM
G'day Bob,
These days I have to be content with the local trash & treasure market and occasional swap meet which still provides a fix fo an old tool junkie like me :D.
For books its the local second hand bookshop or the Internet Archive ( http://archive.org/ ) is a great source of info.
The big green shed has had a hand in the downfall of those great old tool shops, there was a hold out in Lygon St Brunswick for years which was like stepping back in time to the eighties with new old stock Aussie Sidchrome, US Vice Grips, German Bosch, Japanese Makita and the like but alas it too is gone now.
I had a plesant surprise when visiting the tool section of one of the new Masters, generally good quality gear and the first time I have ever seen Stahlwille on open display.
Makes me think, has Stahlwille become German "engineered" rather than "made" now?
While there I did buy a really nice set of "German engineered" pin punches and must admit to being very happy with the quality so far though.
Cheers,
Greg.

Anorak Bob
27th August 2012, 04:34 PM
Hey Greg,

I remember seeing the painted advertising on the side of a hardware shop in Lygon Street on my way out to Coburg on the Tram. Could be the same place. Could just be a shell. We are going to Hellenic Republic for my birthday. I will keep an eye out for the shop again.

BT

ps,. I don't suppose there is a Masters anywhere close to to a rail stop?

issatree
27th August 2012, 05:01 PM
Hi Bob & Greg,
Yes, I frequented a few of those in years gone by. We went to the Cnr. Of Q' berry & Swantson streets, in Melb, & that was good, but gone.
Are you after Metal or Woodworking Tools
Although these are out of Town, there is a big 1 in Castlemaine Vic. mainly Wood Tools & a very big 2nd. Hand Book Shop in Mostyn or Moystn Street.
Geelong has a very good Book Shop, & a off shoot one in Queenscliff.
The Belmont Common Sunday Market, Geelong has 2 reasonably good people that Sells Tools of varying kinds.
There was 1 in Ballarat, was called " Wave ".
That's my 2 sense worth.

kwijibo99
27th August 2012, 11:52 PM
G'day Bob,
Yep thats the one all right, it held on for a long time but they finally pulled the pin a few years back.
There's a few Masters stores appearing now but I don't know if any are real close to a station.

When are you going to be in town? If I'm around I'd be happy to play chaufer, I'm always up for a trip to a tool shop :D.

Isatree, the Restorers Barn is the one in Castlemaine, its worth a visit just to look around.
Their prices can be a bit stiff with some of their stuff but if you're looking for something obscure it's a good one to visit.
I grew up in Castlemaine and I usually call in for a look when I visit my parents.
I have only checked out the book shop through the window but I will have to have a closer look next time I'm up that way.
Cheers,
Greg.

Steamwhisperer
28th August 2012, 06:26 AM
+1 on the 'Restorers Barn' Bob

Phil