PDA

View Full Version : Cast Sheoak pods in resin bowl

dai sensei
27th August 2012, 10:56 PM
Been playing with a few flouro resins for pens and decided I wanted to try a bowl or two. WIPs are shown here http://www.woodworkforums.com/f204/resin-seed-pod-cast-bowl-157254/

The first one is Rose Sheoak seed pods in what was supposed to be a flouro green/yellow/orange/red Pearlex with a black rim, but didn't go according to plan. The second is Coastal Sheoak pods cast in flouro green Pearlex. Both cast ~20-23mm thick, the first ending up ~7mm, the second a bit thicker. Whilst turning the second bowl I heard that horrible change in tone, stopped the lathe immediately and no cracks, so soaked it in thin CA again and then resorted to the 80 grit chisel :rolleyes:. I wasn't game to use the chisels again :no:

Both are finished in many layers of nitrocellulose lacquer and polished with plastic polish. You can't see it in the photo, but as the green is Pearlex, it actually has depth.

Cheers

tea lady
27th August 2012, 11:03 PM
:think: Maybe the green looks better in real life. :C Think the pods look better in the opaque green though.:cool::U

Toymaker Len
27th August 2012, 11:16 PM
Fantastic, especially the darker bowl.

dr4g0nfly
28th August 2012, 07:10 AM
Now they are bright, do ya sell 'em with a free pair of sunglasses?

An interesting direction you've got going there, looking forward to seeing where you take the idea.

torchwood
28th August 2012, 10:38 AM
Being new to wood turning, I'm getting a laugh out of woodturning in-jokes

" 80 grit chisel" Ha! Can't wait to hear some more.

Fascinating bowls

nz_carver
28th August 2012, 01:55 PM
Hey Neil did a little green man come out of the green one mate??
Did he look like this????:D

dabbler
28th August 2012, 03:40 PM
I like the dark one. Is it a different shape to the green or is that just a photo effect ?

smiife
28th August 2012, 07:55 PM
hi neil,
very interesting neil,looks good:cool:,and also thanks for showing the process
with the bowls,might have to give that a go ,is the resin the stuff you fix
car dents with??????
cheers smiife:2tsup:

dai sensei
28th August 2012, 09:54 PM
I like the dark one. Is it a different shape to the green or is that just a photo effect ?

End result only slightly different, but same casting mold. The darker one has thinner walls, plus a rounded inside base, the green one has a flat inside base.

...is the resin the stuff you fix
car dents with??????

No, it is clear casting polyester resin, with then dyes/pigments and Pearlex powders added for colours/effects

Paul39
29th August 2012, 02:18 AM
I clicked on the thumbnail and OH!, WOW!

Wonderful!

Torchwood,

The 80 grit chisel is a standard tool for those who work with spectacular punky, spalted, partially rotten, pieces of timber.

Sometimes no matter what tool, no matter how sharp, no matter what technique, we get torn out areas. All one can do is soak the area with ones favorite stiffener and sand, sand, sand.

dr4g0nfly
29th August 2012, 08:34 AM
The 80 grit chisel is a standard tool for those who work with spectacular punky, spalted, partially rotten, pieces of timber.

Here in the UK we don't think of it as a chisel exactly, we tend to refer it it as a 'Multi-faceted Turning tool'.

But the end result is just the same.

Paul39
29th August 2012, 08:48 AM
'Multi-faceted Turning tool'.

I like that.

Tim the Timber Turner
29th August 2012, 10:07 AM
40 grit Power Gouge?? (angle grinder).

Drillit
29th August 2012, 10:20 AM
Helllo Dai Sensei,
Master....beautiful...the green is very green, eh. Drillit.

ian thorn
29th August 2012, 08:00 PM
nice bowls I like the dark one best well done:2tsup:

artme
31st August 2012, 10:19 AM
Curse you Red Baron!!:D

Why do you thonk I've been collecting Cassuarina pods?

Nice work Neil!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: