PDA

View Full Version : source of silver solder other than BOC?

desbromilow
29th August 2012, 01:26 PM
Folks,

I've moved house and a large amount of my shed is packed into a storage container whilst I get the house sorted out, and look at shed erection/construction.

As a result I will need to grab some silver solder for a few small jobs coming up.

Last time I bought Silver solder was through BOC and it was quite expensive... is there a cheaper source of silver solder in Oz?
I'd be chasing 2-3 rods suitable for brass, copper, steel, etc - ie general construction use - not jewellry

I now live in the Perth area, so the big green shed, coventries, and other stores are at most 2 hours drive - most around 1 hour drive.

if you can suggest a source, and grade of silver braze I'd appreciate it.. I do have my flux available (Sil Braze? - the one from BOC in the small balck jar), but no rods.

Many thanks,
Des

Machtool
29th August 2012, 01:44 PM
Des.

Most good Industrial suppliers usually have it by the stick. 45% seems to be pretty general purpose.

Phil.

eskimo
29th August 2012, 05:31 PM
plumbing stores Reece etc, refrigeration wholesalers, Actrol, Heatcraft would all have it

keep away from anything less than 15% silver brown tip...this is good for copper..no flux if clean copper
if you want to do steel to copper then 45% Blue tip..needs flux

both will do copper to brass with flux

HavinaGo
29th August 2012, 06:05 PM
One thing I found was the last time I bought some the local welding supply place sold me the non-cadmium bearing 45% silver brazing alloy. It is OK but a slightly higher melting point and not as good on bonding to steel (from my novice perspective)

Thus I'd be asking for the old 245SBA - cadmium bearing, 45% silver --- this is of course provided the job does not involve water or food handling equipment/utensils.

From the modelling magazines, it would seem the cadmium bearing alloys are now much less available in the UK than previously -- Reeves ran a series of advertisements saying "this is the last batch"

Added Link: SBA - Victoria (http://sbaamal.com.au/products/silver-brazing) include cadmium bearing alloys and have a "contact us" page.

desbromilow
29th August 2012, 06:23 PM
definitely need steel to steel in the first job on the "to do" list.. so that limits me to 45% then

I'll keep hunting around the local area before heading to Perth

Thanks for the heads up on the 15% stuff because the local plumbing place offered that, and the "big green shed" dropped the calls each time I was transferred around the store between tool shop and plumbing.

Thanks all,
Des

eskimo
30th August 2012, 10:08 AM
definitely need steel to steel in the first job on the "to do" list.. so that limits me to 45% then

I'll keep hunting around the local area before heading to Perth

Thanks for the heads up on the 15% stuff because the local plumbing place offered that, and the "big green shed" dropped the calls each time I was transferred around the store between tool shop and plumbing.

Thanks all,
Des

plumbers also use 5% and sometimes 2% if they are really rough...dont use it..make sure its 15% SBA115 or equivalent..it should have a brown tip and ideally 15% stamped on it...it may cost a little more and i mean only a little so dont skimp

C-47
30th August 2012, 11:30 AM
Des,
You could try Gentronics in Welshpool, they handle a lot of welding / brazing stuff, prices can be a bit hit and miss though. Alan.