PDA

View Full Version : Liquid metal in a tube...

wolften
30th August 2012, 03:49 PM
...is there such a thing...
Gidday folks.
I have an aluminium pool fence, black powder coated, where a few of the 12mm round loop bars, have broken the weld to the bottom rail, only on the gate where it does get a bit of rough treatment.
Is there such a product as above or do I just try some black sikaflex, and lastly a screw:( to fix this problem without resorting to re welding/painting.
Cheers

Glenn

variant22
30th August 2012, 05:30 PM
...is there such a thing...

Mercury. But I don't think that is what you are looking for..

Maybe an aluminum patch lined with some sikaflex riveted into place might be the go?

petersemple
30th August 2012, 05:33 PM
I have heard mention of Devcon on these forums, but don't know much about it, except that it is described as liquid metal in a can.

Bryan
30th August 2012, 05:40 PM
Yes there are various epoxies, but I can't see them working for long in that situation. I would use wire. Seriously. If that's too rustic get a pro to weld it.

nearnexus
30th August 2012, 06:06 PM
Selleys make a two pack epoxy in a stick that looks like a candy roll.

You cut off what you want and mix/work it together.

I've used it on motor engines to repair water jackets and inlet manifolds. Sticks to alloy extremely well and goes rock hard with heat/age.

Saves extensive engine pull downs and I've seen it last on a ute thermostat housing over 15 years and still be as good as new when wrecked - it's damn tough stuff.

I did read an article where they recon in remote areas of South America where there is very little access to electricity, two pack epoxy is used extensively in place of welding.

Give it a go.

Two pack Araldite is also very strong, clear, and probably all you need in this situation as no significant heat is involved.

Rob

GSRocket
30th August 2012, 07:54 PM
I have used Devcon and it is good stuff for certain types of work.
But JB Weld is about the strongest stuff I've use.
Available in tiny tubes from just about any hardware store.

shedhappens
30th August 2012, 08:00 PM
I think that if the welds broke, even if they were crappy welds, then you are not going to fix it for very long with liquid metal :; that 2 part epoxy stuff is good though, but in the right application.
john

Dingo Dog
30th August 2012, 08:40 PM
Hi

I have used Devcon Alloy to patch a hole in a Yahama XT500 engine case, that held until the bike was sold. Also used it to patch a hole in a light tinny when I blew a bigger hole in the boat trying to mig weld it. It's great stuff, Devcon in a silver packet with green line is for alloy, red is for steel.

Have you got enough meat on the bit that broke to slide a smaller piece in, to rejoin the broken bit together.

DD

MuellerNick
30th August 2012, 08:46 PM
Mercury. But I don't think that is what you are looking for..

That would be fun! It will alloy with the aluminium and ruin it. -> Amalgam
Spill some mercury in an aeroplane and wait for the bill ... :D

Epoxies more or less only are good for patching holes. Excpet the glue joint had been designed for epoxying.

Nick

wolften
31st August 2012, 03:22 AM
...many thanks for the suggestions, I think I will try the 2 part epoxy, it sounds like what I need.
...if that fails in the future, a little SS screw should fix it.

Glenn

tea lady
31st August 2012, 09:40 AM
Uuuuuuuuuum. Its a pool fence:C Shouldn't it be all proper like to make sure kids don't go in and get themselves drowned. :C

Anorak Bob
31st August 2012, 10:01 AM
...many thanks for the suggestions, I think I will try the 2 part epoxy, it sounds like what I need.
...if that fails in the future, a little SS screw should fix it.

Glenn

Hello Glenn,

Given that this is a pool fence and gate, I reckon screw fixing would be your safest option. I've used Devcon Liquid Steel and Araldite amongst other epoxies, over the years and whilst they have been perfect in the applications I've used them for, I think that a for a joint that could be exposed to a load in tension, say a kick, they could fail.

In this day and age of stringent pool fencing regulations, it's unbelievable that a fence manufacturer could supply a product that proven inadequate.

Bob.

wolften
31st August 2012, 12:03 PM
...thanks all for the input.
As I originally stated that I wanted to know IF something of this nature existed, and the experienced folk would chime in, and others will either knock down or agree with the given suggestions.
I am well aware of the pool fencing laws and regulations for the last 17 years as a responsible pool owner, and as this weld has broken in the last week hence why I asked as I have no knowledge in the metal industry.

In this day and age of stringent pool fencing regulations, it's unbelievable that a fence manufacturer could supply a product that proven inadequate.
Apparently there are shonks in all trades.

I was always aware that if there was no suitable epoxy product, that screw fixing/ welding was my final avenue.
Thanks all.

tea lady
31st August 2012, 12:26 PM
There is some kneedable epoxy stuff I have seen in Bunnings that is for metal. :cool:

Oldneweng
1st September 2012, 09:59 AM
I would be going with the screw method at the very least. A thought came to mind of a split HDPE round section pressed into the tube. When a screw is turned into it the split opens slightly clamping it in position. Screw should be stainless I guess but one has to bear in mind the corrosion issue involved with combining stainless and aluminium especially when in contact with chlorine or brine.

Dean

wolften
1st September 2012, 12:08 PM
...after thinking about the hassles of going to bunnies and stuffing around with epoxy as a test, and see how long it lasts, I will go with a screw.
I'll use a gal roofing screw with a dowel shoved up the round section to give a bit more bite for the screw.
The dowel will split thus giving more bite into the inside of the round section.
Hope I have explained it well enough.
If the screw corrodes the ali too much then a re weld will have to happen down the track.
Cheers

SurfinNev
1st September 2012, 02:43 PM
Ever seen what gal tool boxes do to alloy ute trays?

Nev

wolften
1st September 2012, 05:36 PM
Ever seen what gal tool boxes do to alloy ute trays?

Nev
...nope.
Only had one aly tray with painted gal tool boxes sitting on timber cauls in the tray.
The rest of my utes had hardwood floors. Apart from the discolouration...what else?
As I said, I aint no metalworker, been a chippy for 30 odd years though, could tell ya a bit about that, ifn ya want.

Glenn

SurfinNev
1st September 2012, 06:08 PM
The gal (zinc) will react with the alloy and eat right through it if in direct contact. I'd imagine a gal screw will do the same to your alloy fence.

Nev

Oldneweng
1st September 2012, 08:25 PM
The gal (zinc) will react with the alloy and eat right through it if in direct contact. I'd imagine a gal screw will do the same to your alloy fence.

Nev

There are painted roof screws available. Any colorbond colour you desire probably. I have galv ones and painted ones in a grey very similar.

It is a toss up which would be worse, galv or stainless. Galv I would say but I was warned about Ali and stainless together when rebuilding a 16ft catamaran. Generally ok but can be a big issue as I said, in salt water. So if wet bodies drip water on the gate on the way to somewhere else?

I say go with what you have and keep an eye on it.

Dean