PDA

View Full Version : Advice on what to do with wood lathe

RC-DIY
2nd September 2012, 04:04 PM
Hi
My father has gone into a nursing home and I need to start cleaning up.
Can any one tell me how much a MC900 wood lathe is worth
also 3 tools that have Record Power shefield steel on the box
I know he hardly used the lathe and the tools look new
He probably made half a dozen bowls.
Where is a good place to advertise for sale?

Thanks
Reading this forum makes me want to start wood turning myself but that would be just too many irons in the fire.

Avery
2nd September 2012, 04:58 PM
Probably a good place to start would be right here in the marketplace forum. I would think that there have been many of these advertised and sold there.

cookie48
2nd September 2012, 10:15 PM
Or maybe your father might like to donate it to a Men's Shed.

Paul39
3rd September 2012, 05:30 AM
Hi
My father has gone into a nursing home and I need to start cleaning up.
Can any one tell me how much a MC900 wood lathe is worth
also 3 tools that have Record Power shefield steel on the box

My personal rule of thumb is any tool in good working condition it worth between 50 to 75% of new. The lower end has rust, dings, dried on finish. The higher end looks nice, no rust, clean, and almost new.

Find the new price of the complete outfit, offer as above on the marketplace.

Try to locate everything pertaining to turning and include it in the lot. The more stuff included makes it more appealing to someone starting out. A grinder and / or jigs especially.

There may or may not be a tax advantage to giving it to a men's shed. That would be a nice gesture if economics permit.

soundman
3rd September 2012, 01:05 PM
Just to give the original poster a bit of an idea.

The Mc900 was an entry level machine that came out in volume arround 5-10 years ago...quite a number of different vendors sold it or a very similar machine under their particular sticker.

Some vendors are still selling an almost identical machine, others have moved on.

Carbatec currently sell an MC900 for arround $470 on the sheet metal frame with the cast iron leg option being arround $150....... a good shopper may do better.

Is there a chuck or other accessories......that can change things

The record toos are respectable but not fabulous and good quality generic items have more or less priced them out of the market.

If it is all in good nick lathe, tools no chuck $300 would be a fair price, but It it was me you where selling to...I'd be haggling arround the $200-250....but I'm vulture.

cheers