PDA

View Full Version : Al 960b locked apron levers!

Ben Dono
3rd September 2012, 02:10 PM
This is driving me nuts! I have locked the half nut lever, auto feed lever and saddle hand wheel.?

All I moved was the automatic feed lever from "cross" to I think it's in the neutral position and then everything locked up? I got no idea.
It was done with no power to the machine and I have not turned it on since.

I have rotated the chuck by hand to rotate both the feed rod and lead screw while trying to move the levers and hand wheel with no luck?
I'm new to this lathe and the instruction booklet really was no help!
What am i missing? Any ideas guys?

Stustoys
3rd September 2012, 02:52 PM
Hi Ben,
Is this the position your levers are in?

Stuart

Ben Dono
3rd September 2012, 03:17 PM
Thanks Stu,
The half nut lever looks as though it's in the same position as in your picture.
The auto feed lever in mine is up so I believe it is in the "long" position.
Is that any help?

lather
3rd September 2012, 03:34 PM
what's actually locked up.
are both the long feed and cross feed locked at the same time.

Ben Dono
3rd September 2012, 03:42 PM
I cannot move the auto feed lever back into it's neutral position (locked on long) the hand wheel and cross slide is locked as I'm assuming that's normal as it is expecting to be driven the half nut lever is up and locked as this cannot be moved when the auto feed lever is engaged...
Im sure I'm missing something simple. New lathe and first time I have engaged the auto feed levers..

Ben Dono
3rd September 2012, 03:45 PM
Jeeze.... Stu and lather thanks....
It just popped back into place and I have no idea why. I thought it was still in neutral until Stu posted that pic.. Worked out it was in long but the darn lever would not budge in any direction?

Still got no idea how it popped back in?

Thanks for your time guys!

lather
3rd September 2012, 03:50 PM
the cross slide should be adjustable if the feed lever is in the long position.

Stupid ?, have you pulled the feed lever in or out sideways when moving it up or down.

Ben Dono
3rd September 2012, 03:57 PM
Yep, followed the picture like a gear stick.. I just had a play with it. It wants slight pressure in and then a firm click down. Kind of like a new key in an old lock.. I'm sure it will break in over time. :2tsup:

Ben Dono
3rd September 2012, 07:26 PM
For the record! How awesome is this forum! It's like having hundreds of wise old uncles and grumpy grandfathers happy to help solve a problem!

I should have posted this question a few days ago! It was doing my head in!
You guys solved it in about 30min!

MarkEF
3rd September 2012, 07:43 PM
Congrats on your new lathe, I also have just recently purchased this lathe and have finally got to play with it over the past few days, is really a nice lathe to use. I have also found the other members of this forum very helpful and full of good information and good ideas

tongleh
6th September 2012, 11:12 AM
Well now, isn't that amazing, I had exactly the same problem with my AL250G: Had me stumped for a couple of days until I realized the cross slide lever had to be pulled out before it could be engaged. Looks the same as my AL250G and uses the same system, I wonder if the're from the same factory.

KBs PensNmore
7th September 2012, 12:28 AM
In one of my Model Engineers Workshop magazines someone posted a bracket/stop arrangement that prevented something like this happening.
Will try to find the info if someone wants it.
Regards
Kryn