PDA

View Full Version : Shaper vice and milling vice

morrisman
3rd September 2012, 07:16 PM
I seem to be confused . Are they the same thing, or not ?

Mike

jhovel
3rd September 2012, 07:37 PM
They both have the same function: holding work pieces.
On a shaper, there will never be a tool entering the space between the fixed and moving jaw to any depth, so shaper vices can use a screw that crosses in this space. That would be too risky on a drill or mill, particularly a vertical mill.
This screw allows large vices to be built relatively 'light' with the tensile strength of the screw being the limit of force - so the two jaws a PULLED together. THe base can be relatively 'slight', as it doesn't transmit any forces.
A milling or drilling vice uses the screw to PUSH the moving jaw and the base needs to be solid enough not to break under the tension force being transfrerrd through it, and the ways need to be big enough to resist the moving jaw tilting while being pushed.
Most often, shaper vices are rather large and as a result heavy all the same, mind you.
Cheers,
Joe

morrisman
3rd September 2012, 08:07 PM
OK Joe

this pic depicts a shaper vice .. it doesnt seem to different at first glance

Michael G
3rd September 2012, 09:35 PM
I'm sure that a lot of shaper vices have ended up on mills. The one difference I would point out is that a shaper vice (such as the one you have pictured) usually have 4 bolts holding them down, where as a milling vice normally has two.
Michael

Stustoys
3rd September 2012, 09:48 PM
A milling or drilling vice uses the screw to PUSH the moving jaw and the base needs to be solid enough not to break under the tension force being transfrerrd through it, and the ways need to be big enough to resist the moving jaw tilting while being pushed.

But then the screw is in compression and the cast in tension!

Though I agree shaper screws are in tension and mill screws are in compression. And that steel in tension and cast in compression(as in the shaper vice) is the way to go. But I dont have a better reason.........

Stuart

shedhappens
3rd September 2012, 11:59 PM
and then you also have the shaper vice's with two screws, such as the vice of happyness.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/show-us-your-shaper-146358/index22.html#post1495268

jhovel
5th September 2012, 12:06 AM
OK Joe

this pic depicts a shaper vice .. it doesnt seem to different at first glance

Quite right. The only thing that strikes me is the fixed jaw looks a bit light and would break off at the base if it was being pushed against. The screw goes right through and has a nut or collar on the outside of the fixed jaw.

Compare the proportions to this: