PDA

View Full Version : thin vase/hollowform

michael_m
3rd September 2012, 09:54 PM
I had another go at a hollow-form on the weekend. Inspired by some of torchwood's recent posts, where he has taken a bit of wood that looked to my eye unusable, I used a waste bit of silky oak branch that was split halfway along, had an angle chainsaw cut at the broad end and only just avoided the scrap heap.

This is what I came up with. It's 26cm high, and 6.5cm across the top. During the turning, it managed to come off the lathe twice as I started the hollowing (it didn't help that I had to start the turning on the angle head, so most of the time I was trying to hollow air), but switching from the gouge to the hollowmaster fixed that - as did tightening the chuck sufficiently :B. No dings, because I didn't like the outside I had turned, so I reshaped them out anyway.

Paul39
4th September 2012, 04:55 AM
That is nice. Is it hollowed down to where it thickens at the base?

hughie
4th September 2012, 09:55 AM
I find the long skinny vases a bit of a challenge, getting down there and out with out a catch can tricky.

:2tsup: well done

michael_m
4th September 2012, 10:21 AM
Thank you both. Yes, it is hollow down to the base. I sort of cheated by drilling a 28mm hole down first, and then only hollowed out the top part further - then again, it's only 32mm wide at its narrowest point, so there's not too much extra wood to take off inside.

torchwood
5th September 2012, 01:09 PM
Great work Michael, you just don't know what's inside some of these pieces of wood -
"Who dares wins"

dr4g0nfly
6th September 2012, 07:24 AM
I like the vase and I like the concept and execution. Might have to try this with a bit of Yew.

Thanks for posting. :2tsup: