PDA

View Full Version : Standard house outlet rating

MathewA
21st March 2005, 07:43 AM
Forgive me if you have already answered this, I did a search but found nothing that specifically answers this detail. I know most 110 volt tools I bring give a rating of 15amp peak draw on the load side. On the 240volt side of the transformer it therefore should only be drawing no more than 8. But since the power will be converted there has to be a lose and thus a greater draw of amps on the 240volt side.

What is the highest rated transformer, in KVA, I could get that would not blow the average house breaker.

ED T
21st March 2005, 09:58 AM
Power loss in that sort of transformer should be no more than about 5%, so forget about it.

Ed T

journeyman Mick
21st March 2005, 10:35 AM
Matthew,
household circuits are generally 20amp breakers or 16amp fuses. You can always fit a dedicated 15 or 25 amp circuit (different plugs). Normal power circuits can have a swag of outlets (depending on the calculated max draw) whereas the 15 amp circuit will have a single 15 amp outlet on a 20 amp breaker with heavier pins and sockets, similar set up for the 25 amp circuit.

Mick

Dan
21st March 2005, 01:24 PM
A standard domestic outlet is rated at 10amps.

simon c
21st March 2005, 02:25 PM
Both Mick's and Dan'd points are separate limiting factors.
On a domestic circuit, you would normally have 20amp breaker on the combined load on the circuit and a 10amp limit on each outlet.

MathewA
22nd March 2005, 06:25 PM
I guess I didn't make myself too clear - happens often. Can I plug in a 2KVA, 240V to 120V step down transformer into a typical wall out let that one would find in most houses in Australia and run a Delta 12" chop saw without blowing a fuse and or breaker. Chopsaw draws 15amp at startup. I'm not too keen on bringing it if I can't run it. Now take into consideration I know ***** about aussie house hold electicity so explain it to me like you would your 5 year old son.

Dan
22nd March 2005, 08:23 PM
You were clear.

You can plug whatever you like into a domestic 10 Amp outlet so long as it draws less than or equal to 10 Amps. If you connect multiple heavy loads into the outlets on a single circuit then you'll run the risk of tripping the circuit.

journeyman Mick
22nd March 2005, 10:29 PM
Matthew,
your dropsaw(that's what they're called here) which draws 15 amps on 110 v will only draw 7.5 amps on 240 v (not taking into account whatever power the transformer uses itself). So basically you could probably plug in a tool that drew 30 amps back home and be okay. Don't all the larger machines over there run on 220v anyway?

Mick