PDA

View Full Version : Wixey Saw Fence Digital Read-out

Prle77
12th September 2012, 08:04 PM
Got this one from woodworksupplies as a fix to the pretty average fence measurement for my table saw.. (see my previous post)

Pros
Very easy to mount
Very precise 1/10th of a mm (I'm a metric person...)
Can do measurements in metric, imperial and imperial fractions
Kit comes with everything needed for mounting (even a drill bit)
Really enjoyment to use it.. Increases accuracy of your work
Very detailed instruction manual
Mounting bracketts and screws designed to cater for many different fence types
Very easy to calibrate
Cons
More of an anoyance rather than a bad thing... I had to drill my default fence to mount it.. but not regreting it..
Another thing is.. and I believe applies only to my case..
The self adhesive readout tape which comes in two pieces is comming unstuck in one of the corners.. Unfortunately that corner is right in the middle where two tapes join. This causes occasional stopping of the reading device.. quick fix though.. just inserted a small piece of a thing double sided tape
Removal of the fence requires re-calibration (fortunately it is easy to calibrate )
General
As I was quite unhappy with the default table saw precission, I've decided to take a byte and get this little gizmo.
To be honest... I think that was the best decission I've made...
Straight away I've gained comfort in measurement.. First two test cuts were very precise..
The only thing is that I do find myself nudging the fence quite often to get that extra precission.. I mean 0.1 of a mm now means a lot doesn't it..
Additionally.. As I've replaced original fence with an Biessemeyer copy.. the digital readout fitter right on.. no need of drilling anything..
Personally would highly reccomend it to anyone who is a bit pedantic with measurement and want to do quick setup at the same time

Indranil
10th January 2013, 01:40 PM
Got this one from woodworksupplies as a fix to the pretty average fence measurement for my table saw.. (see my previous post)
As I was quite unhappy with the default table saw precission, I've decided to take a byte and get this little gizmo.
To be honest... I think that was the best decission I've made...

Nice little review. A big help for me as I too was thinking of getting this.
One question though, do you think it will fit onto a Bosch GTS 10 benchtop tablesaw?
Your comments would be a big help.
thanks.

MatMann
10th January 2013, 03:24 PM
I fitted one to my TS-10L and haven't regretted it once. GREAT DEVICE

damian
11th January 2013, 01:16 PM
The only thing is that I do find myself nudging the fence quite often to get that extra precission.. I mean 0.1 of a mm now means a lot doesn't it..

And that is the essential difference with an incra. Pick the number, half lock the fence and if you want something between 1/32 increments twiddle the knob and full lock. And it will go back to that spot within a thou every time you ever want it to, next hour or next year.

I know I go on about them, but any device that can make a clutz like me produce accurate cuts is nothing short of miraculous. :D

How much is the wixey and the Biessemeyer copy ? Obviously a lot cheaper than an incra but I wonder how much they are ?