PDA

View Full Version : MC900 belt tightening

reeves
23rd March 2005, 08:33 AM
hi yall, the belt on my lathe is getting a little loose, specially at higher speeds...

i have had a look but see no obvious tightening mechasim..am i wrong...

do i lossen those allen screws amd somwhoe move the pully wheel on way to tighten..

or cant it be done an di get a new belt..

anyon
e had expereince with this this...?

thanks
john

gatiep
23rd March 2005, 11:46 AM
Don't change pulley positions as they change in synchro with speed change. If belt is worn, replace it. If it is not worn, clean and lubricate the pulleys to shaft fit as the springs must be able to keep the tension on the belt but can only do it if the pulley halves move freely.

:)

Mulgabill
23rd March 2005, 07:41 PM
As gaiep said, and do not accidently put spray or lubricant in the belt as this will cause it to slip and shorten the belt life.

smidsy
23rd March 2005, 09:18 PM
If you think you're having trouble with the belt slipping you can actually get some stuff to make the belt grip the pulley better. It's called (ironically) belt grip and comes in an aerosol can like lubricant but does the opposite.
You would need to be careful though not to get any on the parts of the pulley that need to move for the speed control so if you use it spray some on a rag and apply it to the belt by hand.
Cheers
Paul

Phil Jennings
24th March 2005, 10:24 AM
Hi Guys,
I'm having the same problem with my MC1100. What's the best way to clean and lubricate the pulleys?
Thanks
Phil

arose62
24th March 2005, 03:09 PM
Pull both pulleys to bits (it's not a complicated piece of machinery), and lubricate the shafts with Inox.

Also, check the shafts for burrs, and make sure the inside (belt-wearing) surfaces of the pulleys are nice and smooth.

I recently went through this exercise (see the thread on "Speed change - effort required"), and the difference in ease using the speed change is amazing.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=14400

Cheers,
Andrew

Sprog
24th March 2005, 03:10 PM
These pulleys get absolutely full of crap and should receive maintenance at least every 10 hours of use. It is usually the motor pulley that sticks the most.

They are incidentaly called Reeves Pulleys. :D

Switch of the power and unplug. Remove the cover. Remove the belt. Blow out the dust from the pulleys. Spray the shafts where the pulleys run with something like
Inox (http://www.gtp.com.au/cgi-bin/icommerce3/order/formclassic.cgi?file=woodstock&display=424&id=INOX)
Blow out and lube the pulley on the headstock shaft and also the linkage around there, work the speed control lever a few times to ensure correct operation.
Replace the belt and cover. Run the lathe at different speeds. If the problem is fixed you are done, keep up the maintenance.

If the belt still slips you will need to remove the circlip from the end of the motor shaft and free up the pulleys. Be careful if removing the circlip, there is quite a strong spring controlling the pulleys.

smidsy
24th March 2005, 05:46 PM
Hei Guys,
When it comes to cleaning a lathe you have two options - disassemble the lathe and have several different size brushes, or get an air compressor.

You can get cheap compressors for less than $100 (plan to spend about $200 for the low end of decent) and they are worth the money.

All I do to clean my MC900 it is sweep off the larger shavings and then use an air hose on the fine stuff followed by a coat of Inox - apart from when I overload it, my MC 900 does not miss a beat.

Cleaning by air really is the best way to go.
Cheers
Paul

reeves
25th March 2005, 08:14 AM
hey thanks all god information guys, yes the belt is alittle worn and loose so it looks like a nerwer one is needed...i do clean the pulley regular but this was the first time i got slip when turning, like digging and and stopping..

Smidsy ye ai may try the grip spray......

thanks all..keep it rolling

Phil Jennings
11th April 2005, 04:42 PM
Many thanks to Andrew and all for sound advice.
Unfortunately I got stuck at step 1 "replace the belt". Being a non-mechanical type I found the pulley halves were jammed together after I removed the circlip. All I did was crack one half of a pulley in my attempts to remove them for cleaning.

So off to Carbatec and got it back 4 days later, working fine all for $33.00. You can't do any better than that and a it was a great deal better than my previous encounter with them. Maybe it's the new show room that's made the improvement.
Cheerio
Phil

Mulgabill
11th April 2005, 05:43 PM
Good to hear Phil, that it has all worked out OK! It's proof that we learn something new every day.

ubeaut
11th April 2005, 07:01 PM
Used to use a product called Boscoslip (made by Bostik) many years ago for slip on things like your pulleys. It is a silicon spray used in upholstery. Beauty of this stuff is that it was a dry finish that slipped like crazy but disn't get a build up of dust etc as this also slipped off any surface the silicon was sperayed on to.

I would think it could be the answer for the problem and could negate the need for constant cleaning of the mechanism. You would have to be careful where you sprayed it and keep it away from the area that the belt runs on, not even the belt grip will help.

Just a thought.

Cheers - Neil :)

adrian
12th April 2005, 12:53 AM
I'm on my 3rd belt in a year. It seems likely that the MCs have a chronic problem where the belts are concerned. The original belt on mine was upside down when it was delivered. I turned it over so the beveled side was down. It flipped back upside down when I turned the lathe on and broke a few days later. The second one broke last week so I've ordered 2 more.

DanP
12th April 2005, 01:18 AM
The design of this pulley system is hard on belts, there's no doubt. Keep it running smoothly and you will get the most out of them. The benefits of this system outweigh the increased no of belts purchased IMO.

Dan

(On my 2nd in 18 months. The one that came with it was shyte, Lasted three weeks.)