PDA

View Full Version : It happens.

wheelinround
15th September 2012, 06:41 PM
I am doing a special piece ATM and all has been going quite well................:doh: using the skew to shape this base all of a sudden it just went with a very slight dig in. It broke all round. :C

Just glad no damage to main piece tomorrow is another day. Try again.

fletty
15th September 2012, 06:45 PM
BUGGER :oo: ! ... and no damage to you?

Hardenfast
15th September 2012, 06:58 PM
Looks like some nice spirals you've got going there Ray. I mean the ones on the narrower section (hehe). How do you do them? On one of those very tricky rose machines you ornamental guys use? Maybe I'll have to break out the Ligno gear... perhaps when the Hegner arrives?

wheelinround
15th September 2012, 07:12 PM
BUGGER :oo: ! ... and no damage to you?

No damage to me just pride:- thanks for being concerned Fletty.:2tsup:

wheelinround
15th September 2012, 07:16 PM
Looks like some nice spirals you've got going there Ray. I mean the ones on the narrower section (hehe). How do you do them? On one of those very tricky rose machines you ornamental guys use? Maybe I'll have to break out the Ligno gear... perhaps when the Hegner arrives?

Thanks Wayne, I was trying a new method on the large piece:q I was going to ask if I could borrow the Ligno gear but would take longer to set it all up so did it all by hand.:U

Ligno on the Hegner now that I'd like to see I bet its all still in the box on the floor in the office:p

Mobyturns
15th September 2012, 07:18 PM
Buggar all right! Looks like the bottom's grain is face plate orientation? At least its salvageable & no damage to body parts. :U

dr4g0nfly
15th September 2012, 09:19 PM
That was a huge lump to take out with a skew, even if it was on cross grain (bowl) orientation.

Good to hear that you and the work piece are both okay though.

Eh... How's the skew?

artme
15th September 2012, 09:23 PM
:oo: Could have been extra nasty old mate! Glad you are OK>:):)

wheelinround
16th September 2012, 09:01 AM
Dragonfly I was surprised when stopping the lathe running @1800rpm thinking from the feel of the catch a small chunk would be missing but to see the damage done right round :( Skew is fine still sharp.

wheelinround
16th September 2012, 09:04 AM
Its been a while since a catch like that Arthur was wearing the face shield but still @1800rpm bits fly everywhere and I haven't found any of them yet in the clean up I do every afternoon.

wheelinround
16th September 2012, 09:05 AM
Your right re orientation Moby all part of the look and yes a clean up very carefully and make new base and start again.

RETIRED
16th September 2012, 09:16 AM
Ray, you are using the wrong tool for the job and approaching from the wrong side.

To form that base you need to use a bowl gouge coming from the centre to the outside so that the grain is supported.

The only way to avoid a catch is to use the skew as a scraper in this situation.

wheelinround
16th September 2012, 10:04 AM
But I can't stand at the other side of the lathe not enough room for the wheelchair. :p

wheelinround
16th September 2012, 02:44 PM
Sometimes It Happens for a Reason. Removed damaged piece picked up spare bit off back bench and first thing I spotted was the knot and birds eye.:hpydans:

turnerted
16th September 2012, 05:26 PM
Bummer Ray.
At least you didn't hit that bit on the left that you've done all that work on .
Ted

dr4g0nfly
17th September 2012, 05:25 AM
ray, you are using the wrong tool for the job and approaching from the wrong side.

To form that base you need to use a bowl gouge coming from the centre to the outside so that the grain is supported.

The only way to avoid a catch is to use the skew as a scraper in this situation.

roflmao

hughie
17th September 2012, 09:40 AM
Been there and copped a wallop myself but not with a skew, still got the bruise to prove it. :U

Allan at Wallan
17th September 2012, 10:23 AM
C'mon Ray, to get a catch that big you were probably
using your crowbar skew.

Glad to hear you were not injured mate.

Allan

bowl-basher
17th September 2012, 03:18 PM
Your tyres must be getting flat to use a skew on that even a mug like me would use a detail or bowl gouge........Bet Sue gave you what-for
Regards
Bowl-Basher

By the way Ray do you know any one local that can slab a couple of big Camphor logs?????

wheelinround
17th September 2012, 05:27 PM
I learned a long time ago is never assume anything.
I was using the skew only because no other gouge could do what I needed to do that is clear the join area and not damage the spiral section.
I was NOT using it on the face or the edge.

Blarney
17th September 2012, 05:44 PM
No asumptions here.

In the first post you said you were using a skew and got a catch. It looks like you were trying to roll a half bead from the edge down to the centre and the grain grabbed it.

As said, a detail or bowl gouge would make that cut easily starting from the spiral up to the edge and not damage the spiral.

if you wernt using it on the edge or face where were you using it?

wheelinround
17th September 2012, 05:53 PM
Thats what I suspect everyone has assumed. I an assure you it is NOT what I was doing the rounded edge had already been formed. The catch came when pulling back in fact. If you read above it explains what I was doing.

No Bowl gouge o matter how fine a point would have done what I needed to do.