PDA

View Full Version : help lathe wanted

bobsreturn2003
23rd March 2005, 02:28 PM
hi in the market for a serious lathe eg -vicmarc -stubby or similar strong machine , with or without stand motor etc , what have you gathering dust?please contact bob asap

MathewA
23rd March 2005, 03:06 PM
Funny enough there is a lathe called the serious lathe at http://www.seriouslathe.com

bobsreturn2003
23rd March 2005, 03:17 PM
have seen the serious lathe website , all fabricated ,can make similar myself ,but life is too short to make every thing . still looking

bobsreturn2003
5th April 2005, 12:22 PM
need a wood lathe such as a vicmarc or stubby please email if you have one . there is a woodfast on ebay ,older model . cheers from nth qld bob

gatiep
5th April 2005, 09:55 PM
As you are in QLD, whynot grab a Vicmarc!

That serious lathe doesn't do it for me, maybe because they are all fabricated from flats and sections. They are however very serious with the asking prices for the lathes ans accessories. Reminds me a bit of a yank tank.

:)

MathewA
5th April 2005, 10:19 PM
The big difference is they are made from steel instead of cast iron, that makes a world of difference. I've seen them up close and personal - very well build lathes.
As you are in QLD, whynot grab a Vicmarc!

That serious lathe doesn't do it for me, maybe because they are all fabricated from flats and sections. They are however very serious with the asking prices for the lathes ans accessories. Reminds me a bit of a yank tank.

:)

Cliff Rogers
5th April 2005, 10:37 PM
The big difference is they are made from steel instead of cast iron, ......
Not all of them, not all of them, the serious ones are cast.

bobsreturn2003
6th April 2005, 11:56 AM
would really like an old wadkin ,or stubby 750-1000 ,but the $6000 asking is being rejected by my financial controller .and bank manager . so thought ,hoped some one may have one in the back shed. built a bowl lathe in 1997 ,and its a lot more work than they look , cheers bob

rsser
6th April 2005, 11:18 PM
Was a new Woodfast advertised on Ebay in the last couple of weeks. Some comment on one of the ubeaut forums.

But a good lathe second hand is still serious bucks. Not many around and they aren't cheap new. You may need to educate your financial controller.

Though as someone said (Sam Johnson?) there are two great myths in marriage: one that a husband can educate his wife, and the other that a wife can reform her husband.

:-}

bobsreturn2003
19th April 2005, 02:07 PM
still looking for that lathe ,may just try a stubby anyone have one ? would like your opinion on the machine ,as they are serious $$$. .cheers bob

gatiep
19th April 2005, 02:31 PM
The big difference is they are made from steel instead of cast iron, that makes a world of difference. I've seen them up close and personal - very well build lathes.
May be so, but I urge you to study the advantages of cast iron lathe beds over mild steel and tubing, then maybe have a rethink.

bobsreturn2003
19th April 2005, 03:09 PM
the latest stubby is cast iron ,and appears to be well recieved in the usa . just hate buying a machine i havent tried . any stubby owners out there? please help. cheers bob

Tony Morton
19th April 2005, 10:48 PM
Hi Bob
I purchased a Stubby 750 about five years ago about $5700 then worth every cent solid cast very user friendly I find it a nice piece of machinery to work with and would certainly recomend them over a lot of the other so called quality Lathes .
Cheers Tony