PDA

View Full Version : 50/50 burl Jarrah Platter

Willy Nelson
18th September 2012, 11:18 AM
Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen

I finished this platter a couple of weeks ago. It is approximately 40cm across and 5cm high. I call this platter 50/50 as half the platter is burl and other half solid Jarrah.
It is finished with 10 coats of hand rubbed Danish Oil

Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland

Oiliver
18th September 2012, 11:37 AM
What a beautiful piece there Willy! Where about in the tree did this section of wood come from? Also, did you use anything to stabilise the burled section, or is the wall thickness enough that it all holds together okay?
I really love this:2tsup: do you have any more photos, maybe showing the foot/underside?

souwester
18th September 2012, 12:27 PM
Nice job on the burl..

I gave one to a friend of mine, last week, a tree came down on the fence and there where 3 burls on it, one about 18 inches across, another about the same but can't get to it(on underside) and the largest wich I gave away was about 2ft wide and ran about 3ft down the trunk..

We cut it into sections that he can turn down..

They will come out beautiful when worked..

Again, nice job..

Bet people don't realise how much work is needed to polish them?

Scott
18th September 2012, 01:30 PM
Niiiiiice! You've turned this perfectly to highlight the difference between burl & timber. Well done. :)

wheelinround
18th September 2012, 02:00 PM
Willy top job on a top bit of wood :2tsup:

Willy Nelson
18th September 2012, 11:42 PM
Hello Oiliver
Thanks for your kind words.
I cut this many years ago. Imagine you are looking up the tree and essentially what you would see is where the burl is growing out the side of the trunk, hence the 50/50. I also cut my turning blanks this way as I often get the flame effect, but that is my secret!!!

When I turn Burl, depending on the tightness of the grain, I leave it a couple of mm thicker than say a solid timber. Some burl I can turn quite thin, eg 2-3 mm, but others are 10mm. It will also depend on the overall diameter of the platter to keep it proportionate.

As for the base, it is finished with a bead to sit flat on a table. I didn't take anymore photos, but have heaps of others if you wish. I am turning heaps of these at the moment.

Stabilisation. This was a good solid burl which didn't require any. Some times I just use CA glue, other times I use Plastibond.

Once gain, thanks for your praise

Sincerely

Willy
Jarrahland

What a beautiful piece there Willy! Where about in the tree did this section of wood come from? Also, did you use anything to stabilise the burled section, or is the wall thickness enough that it all holds together okay?
I really love this:2tsup: do you have any more photos, maybe showing the foot/underside?

dr4g0nfly
19th September 2012, 05:59 AM
Interesting. Did you notice or could you feel the difference in the two halves while turning it?

artme
19th September 2012, 03:31 PM
A really different and great looking platter Willy!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I like the contrast from one side to the other and the way the piece really demonbstrates both types of the wood.

Kidbee
19th September 2012, 08:53 PM
Willy Nelson, I would say your "on the road again".

TTIT
19th September 2012, 10:22 PM
Very slick Willy :2tsup: Lovely chunk of wood.

Willy Nelson
22nd September 2012, 12:43 AM
Hello Mate
Most definitely. The burl half would be chips and debris whilst the Jarrah would come off in shavings. No difference in height between the two sides.
Willy

Interesting. Did you notice or could you feel the difference in the two halves while turning it?

hughie
22nd September 2012, 10:29 PM
Darn thought i had replied to this post, must be snorting too much wood dust. :U Great looking platter Willy love the 50/50.:2tsup: I havent had the pleasure of much Jarrah burl.