PDA

View Full Version : Indexing

macca2
24th March 2005, 11:24 AM
Hi.....I have a lathe that does not have indexing as a feature, and I find I have a need for it.

My question... does anyone know of an aftermarket or DIY indexing system that I could use.

Thanks again
Macca

PS. I have done a search on this BB without success.

Sprog
24th March 2005, 02:32 PM
Hi.....I have a lathe that does not have indexing as a feature, and I find I have a need for it.

My question... does anyone know of an aftermarket or DIY indexing system that I could use.

Thanks again
Macca

Here is a different approach to a DIY lathe indexing system

DIY Lathe Indexing System (http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk/tip20.htm)

Mulgabill
24th March 2005, 07:48 PM
If you can get hold of the Late Patrick Spielman's book "The Art of the Lathe" he describes how to make a indexing mechanism and a routing jig for spindle fluting. Your local library may have it.

gatiep
24th March 2005, 09:17 PM
Vermec in Brissie (?) makes one.:)

chunter
26th March 2005, 09:02 PM
Macca

you don't happen to be using a Vicmark chuck do you? Mine (used on a Hare & Forbes MC900) has 24 indexing notches around the outside rim, so I made a wooden jig that clamps onto the lathe bed under the chuck with a pointed bolt that I screw up into the appropriate notch. If your chuck doesn't have such notches, could you make up a disk of ply that would clamp between the chuck and the nut or shoulder on the headstock spindle, and cut notches into that at whatever angles you wanted?

cheers

Colin

macca2
26th March 2005, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I will look at the options.
Colin, I dont have a Vicmark. I have a Nova, but I like the disk idea. Specialy if I can make it from aluminium or similar.

Thanks to all
Macca

Jeff
1st April 2005, 10:34 AM
I made mine based on the design in Art of the Lathe. Very simple. I use my dremel to do the index cutting. The possibilities of the detail work are limitless and allow your work to have a much higher value in return for the amount of work required. As a policy I make certain I unplug the lathe from the power source before I ever set up my index system. Putting it on takes about two minutes. It cost less than $5.00 in scrap materials and hardware to make, and about an hour and a half to build. At first I used the depth stop all the time, now I find I only need it in about half the projects. The most significant factor I've learned is that cuts are always achieved much better in one direction than the other, depending on the wood grain and the angle of the cutter. You'll need to be patient. A shop vacuum is nice to have handy. It takes a good deal of concentration and a strong soft touch, so when you get tired, stop and rest. It's a good idea to start your cuts a lot shallower than you expect to make them, because unless you have a reason to go deep you'll find that the visual effect is achieved with fairly shallow cuts in many cases. Also, if you are working on a piece with several different cut patterns you will want to decide if you want them aligned or staggered, and then get the hang of realigning your index wheel as needed.