PDA

View Full Version : motivation

the axe
20th September 2012, 11:33 PM
Can anyone out there help? I have been a member of a woodworking group for 15 years and of the 50+ members there are only 6 or 8 that seem to do everything put their hand up for committee, organise events, demonstrate at events etc. The question is often asked 'What can we do to motivate the other members'? We have tried show and tell but again it's not long before onle 6 items are bought along by these same people. We are even finding it hard to get new members. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions please?

rwbuild
21st September 2012, 12:11 AM
Please don't take this the wrong way but is there a chance that those 6 or 8 are also the board members or is their work of a higher standard than the rest of the group and they tend to be always in the limelight.

Maybe they could step back a bit and to allow some breathing space for the others.

Could try an open day and let them have a go.

......just some thoughts

BobL
21st September 2012, 12:23 AM
That is not an unusual situation within clubs.
Some reasons why the newbie's may not be joining in may include
Maybe the senior group are too cliquey? Maybe the senior group should try and make a point to talk to and include the newbies ?
Show-tell-ask can be a bit daunting especially when one of the genius members turns up with a Jet turbine they turned up on a $25,000 lathe last weekend.
They don't feel like they can intrude into the inner circle

Some ideas to alleviate these issues are
Don't elect but invite a new or recently joined member to be the "newbie rep" on your committee
Run a survey to find out what members want
Run events especially for newbies

the axe
21st September 2012, 07:40 AM
Hello Ray
I noticed you are from Windsor. Is that Windsor NSW? Our group is based at Wilberforce have you heard of the Hawkesbury Woodcraft Co-Operative?
We often greet people that say we never new the group existed, maybe advertising would help our cause.

RETIRED
21st September 2012, 08:03 AM
Hello Ray
I noticed you are from Windsor. Is that Windsor NSW? Our group is based at Wilberforce have you heard of the Hawkesbury Woodcraft Co-Operative?
We often greet people that say we never new the group existed, maybe advertising would help our cause.1st step would be to change the name.

It sounds like a selling group.:)

Paul39
21st September 2012, 10:21 AM
The Axe,

People join groups or take classes for various reasons, some having nothing to do with the activity promoted.

I taught an adult photography class at a Jr. College, no credit but a fee. 1/3 were enthusiastic and participated, 1/3 were interested and paid attention, 1/3 were sometimes there and showed little interest. I talked with a more experienced instructor who told me some take a class just to get out of the house, teach the interested ones.

With volunteer work 80 - 90% of the work will be done by 10 - 20% of the people.

I am active with my church and am a member of the properties committee. We meet once a month and I arrange my schedule to be there and participate. We have some members who come once or twice a year, travel, press of business, etc. I do only properties and am called if there are leaks, trees down, no heat, no AC, sewer line stopped up Christmas, etc.

Rabid turners will find a way to have their own lathe, etc. so it will be available when they are. The same with photographers and dark rooms, now computer and 6 or 8 color photo printers.

Because of the above new people may come in learn a bit and drift away. Some don't do "show and tell" for one reason or another.

I joined a local turning organization years ago, went to several demonstrations, borrowed some books, bought a series of better lathes while reading a bunch here and started selling through a crafts shop. I showed and still show pieces to my friends, but never entered a competition or "show and tell".

I try to give back to this site, as I have learned so much here. A great many contributors are like family to me, even though we are not likely to meet in person.

tea lady
21st September 2012, 10:32 AM
Some members are only on the group really for friendship and contact with the outside world. :shrug: And maybe just want to make things with their hands.

The club I started with (which I now don't get time to go to cos I working. :doh: ) Also makes toys for charity. They have a few standard patterns that they make, and it gives people who just want to make things and chat an outlet and a way to contribute. Beginner turners turn the chimneys and boilers and wheels for a train that is assembled by another group of blokes. Not sure what else they make, but Perhaps that is something you could think about. :shrug: Not everyone wants to become a fantastic famous turner. And it gives everyone something to do when the mind has gone blank of ideas to make next.

Allan at Wallan
21st September 2012, 10:50 AM
Your group is probably just one among the many that have difficulties in
getting people involved.
Luckily, at Northern Woodturners Club , we don't seem to have that problem
with great cooperation displayed within our membership of 48.
Recent innovations within "Show and Tell" is one table for members to show
their latest creations and a separate table for a "featured turner" who can
display his/her wares. "Show and Tell" involves each person coming forward
and talk about their item. The other table enables the "featured turner" to
answer any questions during our half hour coffee break.
Another idea is the "Man Behind the Badge" where a member is invited to come
forward and offer details of their background, occupations, hobbies etc. This
has been very enlightening and opened avenues for further friendships between
members.
We totally respect members whose work seems impossible to copy and admire their
efforts in achieving gallery standards. Nevertheless, no one gets a big head as we
"take the Mickey" out of each other at times and it is a most enjoyable environment
to spend some time with each other.
Take some time to try something new ... it may help.

Allan

hughie
21st September 2012, 11:01 AM
It sounds like a selling group.:)

I agree, and your number of active versus non active are a bit below par for groups of people, but not surprising

Pareto principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle)

dr4g0nfly
21st September 2012, 05:59 PM
We've had this discussion in the AWGB Forum (UK). There is not easy answer, state of health stops some people, other commitments (work or family) are the answers for some people. But I think the bottoms line is people are generally followers and are happy to let someone else do all the work.

To paraphrase an old song 'Too many Indians and not enough Chiefs!'

jimbur
22nd September 2012, 07:23 PM
As others have said, this is a common complaint. I’ve never been on a woodwork committee but plenty of others and seen lots of burn-out.
You could try some outside speakers – not to demonstrate expertise but to show the lighter side such as, “the time my bowl went through the garage roof”, or “a woodworker’s adventures in casualty”.
Visitors from other clubs also allow members to demonstrate pride in their club and to boast a bit as well as to learn.
Then again so many blokes are seeking a relief from home responsibilities and just can’t face sitting on a committee.
Good luck anyway,
Cheers,
Jim

Christos
24th September 2012, 12:26 AM
This is an interesting thread you have started and got me thinking of how I was when I first posted on this forum.

Now getting back to your question I am part of a wood turners group and have not as yet done a show and tell. I have only been a member of the group since December and much has happened and missed heaps of meetings. I will show something on the next meeting, mainly because I was given a piece of wood from one of the members. So I turned a small bowl(dish).

We are a small group of about 18 so really easy to chat to everyone.

On another recent visit to a new group I found my self not knowing anyone but again once I got chatting to people I felt at ease.

It just might need someone to chat someone to get them involved.

issatree
24th September 2012, 05:02 AM
Hi to those Interested,
Yes, we've been there done that. All of a sudden you win 2/3 New Members, & the next minute, for various reasons you lose 2/3 members.
I belong to 5 Clubs, & yes, it is those REAL CLUB MEMBERS do all the work,
So after 20 odd years, everyone is getting older, & the Younger Ones, just talk & watch the Older Members to it all.
I'm Club through & through, & I like to bog in, with a grizzle & a moan, while they all watch, but it will make no difference to me, as I will just get on with it as I have done in the past.
Don't get me wrong, as we are Educating a few younger ones to take a bit of responsibility, & it seems to be working.

the axe
24th September 2012, 12:52 PM
I appreciate the feed back and have tried some of the suggestions in the past we have held open days were we have had both men and women join on the day. They would receive a monthly newsletter to inform them of upcomming meetings but for one reason or another we just don't see them again, ever. I am getting to the stage as issatree ["I'm Club through & through, & I like to bog in while they all watch, but it will make no difference to me, as I will just get on with it as I have done in the past."]
It seems this is a common problem amongst groups and tere may be no easy answer but if we could just get some of the others to join in they would get more enjoyment out of their membership. If you are a member of a group please ask one of your committee what do they do to keep members interested without forcing them.