PDA

View Full Version : Re-Purposed Glass

dr4g0nfly
23rd September 2012, 05:45 AM
Hi folks,

I often see old jars and the like bereft of lids. But people pass them on as the are attractive they are hopeful that someone will finds a use for them.

Eventually it hit me, I'm a turner, make them new lids... I'm now on a mission, old (attractive) jars or lonely lids are going to get the other bit made for them.

The small jar has a Bog Oak lid, finished with the new Mylands metallic spirit stains.

The Perfume Bottle, well it's a bit of beech but I've painted it in Black Japlac.

​233773

Pat
23rd September 2012, 06:36 AM
D'fly, good idea. Might be something to look at, at garage sales - cheap good looking bottles and male a suitable lid.

Dalboy
23rd September 2012, 06:55 AM
Great idea and makes them look great as you say shame to throw them out just because someone has lost/broken the tops

Scott
23rd September 2012, 08:34 AM
Great idea!

brendan stemp
23rd September 2012, 07:24 PM
That would make a really good Club project. A good intro into lidded container making; ie just make the lid (and finial, it could be an option). And recycle at the same time.:2tsup:

hughie
23rd September 2012, 08:07 PM
Aha what a good idea. How about cutting the screw threads on the lid?

artme
23rd September 2012, 08:37 PM
Neat!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

dr4g0nfly
24th September 2012, 04:18 AM
Aha what a good idea. How about cutting the screw threads on the lid?

The small pot does have threads or at least one going around the rim once. I debated trying out a method but thought better of it.

My idea was to coat the thread in silicon or at least WD40, then wrap polymer clay around and make the lid a little loose giving room to squeeze it over. When set, twist off and tidy up.

Anyone any other ideas?

wheelinround
24th September 2012, 08:59 AM
D'fly, good idea. Might be something to look at, at garage sales - cheap good looking bottles and male a suitable lid.

After more brownie points Pat :U I can see this will be the excuse for "I'm off to another garage sale Deb just to look for bottles to make for you"..............."yeh right tools hunting again" says Deb :p

tea lady
24th September 2012, 09:44 AM
My idea was to coat the thread in silicon or at least WD40, then wrap polymer clay around and make the lid a little loose giving room to squeeze it over. When set, twist off and tidy up.

Exceptthe polymer clay has to go in the oven. A bit to hot for the wood I think. :think:

TTIT
24th September 2012, 11:40 AM
Good job with the lids! I've got a bit of a collection in the bottom of a cupboard myself for the same purpose :B

Aha what a good idea. How about cutting the screw threads on the lid?I've looked at doing this before . . . but just never got around to trying it :B. Most of those jar threads have from 2 to 4 'leads' so I reckon you could get away with cutting a single bead the same size as the threads on the inside of the lid, then remove all but small sections of the bead to engage the glass threads. :think: . . . . well it makes sense to me :C