PDA

View Full Version : Odds and ends...

TTIT
24th September 2012, 12:06 PM
I haven't posted any of my turnings up here for ages ('cos I haven't done much this year!) so here's a few while I'm sorting through my photos....

1. White cedar bowl (for SWIMBO's SIL - gotta love/hate these acronyms!)
2. Dead-Finish box from a weekend with Guilio Marcolongo. Those that have done the session will notice the 'egg' is upside-down, always the rebel, I reckon they look better this way up. Finial is turned from a 140 year old piano key.
3. The whole class's efforts.
4. Sandalwood vase turned that weekend using the 2 piece method - Guilio said he wanted a small foot!!!
5&6. Inland Rosewood threaded box. 1.5 turns to remove the lid - very happy with it until the tiny lip appeared on the Norfolk Island Hibiscus insert as the timber settled. Very special commission - top secret purpose until the big event in November.

Acco
24th September 2012, 12:59 PM
Beautiful stuff Vern :2tsup:

Jim Carroll
24th September 2012, 01:43 PM
Nice work Vern :2tsup::2tsup:

bench1holio
24th September 2012, 02:05 PM
some real nice peices there vern, the rosewood and hibiscus are a great marriage :2tsup:

how was the texturing on the sandalwood done?

TTIT
24th September 2012, 02:08 PM
Thanks Gents :U

some real nice peices there vern, the rosewood and hibiscus are a great marriage :2tsup:

how was the texturing on the sandalwood done?The texture is from a gnurling tool that Guilio had with him - not sure who makes them :shrug:

RETIRED
24th September 2012, 03:02 PM
Thanks Gents :U

The texture is from a gnurling tool that Guilio had with him - not sure who makes them :shrug:Wagner, Wagner Texturing Tools - The Woodworkers Institute (http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/page.asp?p=528)

nz_carver
24th September 2012, 03:46 PM
He got them from vermec :2tsup:
Around $160 for set of 3

Nice work mate

dai sensei
24th September 2012, 07:46 PM
Beautiful Vern :cool:

I love the threaded box, was the thread done with a threading tool or a jig with cutting bit?

smiife
24th September 2012, 07:52 PM
hi ttit,
some great items there,i love the rosewood box, well done
cheers smiife

Scott
24th September 2012, 08:05 PM
Nice work Vern, your an inspiration.

artme
24th September 2012, 08:06 PM
Magnificent turning Vern!!:clap::clap::clap:

Bet the air smeeled great as you turned that Sandalwood!:)

Mobyturns
24th September 2012, 10:01 PM
Nice work Vern. Are you going to Prossy?

powderpost
24th September 2012, 10:22 PM
Some very nice work there Vern. Like that threaded box, but then it is all nice :2tsup:
Jim

TTIT
24th September 2012, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the comments chaps :U

Beautiful Vern :cool:

I love the threaded box, was the thread done with a threading tool or a jig with cutting bit?Done with one of Hughie's thread chasers. The Rosewood is the best timber I've used for thread cutting so far - but then I've only tried Veiny Denhamia and Gidgee so that's not much to go on :B:U

dr4g0nfly
25th September 2012, 06:02 AM
TTIT, If that's 'White Cedar' I'd I'd be curious as to what darker cedar's look like!

Love the tall Dead Finish egg. I always turn my tall stems with a slow curve, I find dead straight ones much harder, so impressed you (all of you) did it so well.

The rosewood box - guess we'll all have to wait for November then.

NeilS
25th September 2012, 11:50 PM
Full marks on the Sandalwood vase, Vern.

hughie
26th September 2012, 01:02 AM
Vern you have been busy, great looking pieces. But the box take the blue ribbon for me.

If anybody is looking for chasers I have a couple on hand ..... slight hi-jack there :D