PDA

View Full Version : Who in their right mind???........

MajorPanic
25th March 2005, 11:30 PM
I've posted this poll because I've just finished the second antique restoration that's been foisted on me :mad: & was wondering how others felt.
:D :confused: ;)

Robert WA
25th March 2005, 11:58 PM
Restoration is what I like to do.

Antiques are few and far between, but there are lots of old items around that are just crying out for some tlc. I am in the process of rebuilding an old railway platform bench seat and, at the same time, making patterns of the components so that I can reproduce it.

It is a good woodwork outlet for those of us who don't have any talent for design.

journeyman Mick
26th March 2005, 12:13 AM
Major,
I restored an old silky oak sideboard a few years ago. I doubt I'd do another restoration as I could build from scratch in less time. Mind you if a client was happy for me to do and charge by the hour I'd definitely consider it.

Mick

beejay1
26th March 2005, 12:32 AM
Fraid Im not talented enough to undertake such work but I wish I was. I can imagine people getting tremendous satisfaction out of repairing and restoring an old piece of quality furniture and i envy such craftsmen their skills and ability.
Also consider the fine pieces that would end up as scrap timber if it were not for them. Theres so much history that would be lost.
So keep up the excellent work you restorers old furniture needs youhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon7.gif
beejay1

http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

ozwinner
26th March 2005, 08:14 AM
I voted yes.

I cant see the problem with restoring old stuff. :confused:

Al :D

Iain
26th March 2005, 08:29 AM
I am currently hand scraping some stands that I found that form the two posts for a cheval(?) mirror.
A lot of work but I enjoy what I find under the old varnish and paint that some unnapreciative morons have slopped on in the past.
It will probably take me about six months to complete between jobs and I have to make a cross piece to join the two together and fins some hardware.
Yes, I love it and those damned scrapers are still hard on the fingers.

MajorPanic
26th March 2005, 10:37 AM
Major,
I restored an old silky oak sideboard a few years ago. I doubt I'd do another restoration as I could build from scratch in less time. Mind you if a client was happy for me to do and charge by the hour I'd definitely consider it.

Mick
Mick,

I agree whole heartedly with you!!!! :D :D

Shane Watson
26th March 2005, 11:16 AM
ME!!!! PICK ME!!!! Love it!!!!! Did for an income for several years aswell.

bitingmidge
26th March 2005, 01:38 PM
I voted no, because dealing with all the chipboard dust and trying to get the green marble glitter laminate to match just drives me up the wall ....

P

:D :D

Iain
26th March 2005, 03:17 PM
trying to get the green marble glitter laminate to match just drives me up the wall ....

P

:D :D
Bugger, went to a clearing sale a couple of weeks ago and they had a shed full of it, could have bought it and made a profit :mad:

ozwinner
26th March 2005, 05:59 PM
I am currently hand scraping some stands that I found that form the two posts for a cheval(?) mirror.
A lot of work but I enjoy what I find under the old varnish and paint that some unnapreciative morons have slopped on in the past.
It will probably take me about six months to complete between jobs and I have to make a cross piece to join the two together and fins some hardware.
Yes, I love it and those damned scrapers are still hard on the fingers.
Try paint stripper first, makes life easy. ;)

Al :)

Iain
26th March 2005, 06:20 PM
But I voted #1, that would make me hypocrite :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MajorPanic
26th March 2005, 09:34 PM
ME!!!! PICK ME!!!! Love it!!!!! Did for an income for several years aswell.
I've setup an appointment at the Acute Psychiatric Clinic for you on Monady morning!! ;)

Shane Watson
27th March 2005, 11:20 AM
COol! Is that at the Carindale unit....Cause if so they have some lovely old pieces just crying out for a bit of restoration!!! :D ;) :D ;)

MajorPanic
27th March 2005, 05:31 PM
COol! Is that at the Carindale unit....Cause if so they have some lovely old pieces just crying out for a bit of restoration!!! :D ;) :D ;)
Wolston Park, my friend..... DON"T BE LATE!!! :D :D ;) :D :D

Woodlice
28th March 2005, 02:15 AM
Mate, its not for me at my skill level. Basic stuff maybe, but otherwise its Antique to start with, firewood when Im finished.

J!