PDA

View Full Version : Laguna lathes

daryl1
27th September 2012, 09:40 PM
I have read some posts from 2009 re these lathes. Gregory's Machinery who sell Jet products are moving away from Jet and will be stocking the Laguna lines. I have seen their range on the internet and they look good. If the price is any indication of the quality, they should be a well made machine.

hughie
28th September 2012, 12:26 PM
Looks good, Gregory Machinery will be the sole agents in Oz. So maybe a post or twon some of the USA forums might illicit a more detailed response.

The 18-47 looks well priced

Motor: 2.0 hp

Variable Speed: yes
Spindle Speed Range -
Low: 100 - 1200 rpm
High: 200- 3200 rpm
Swing Over Bed: 18"
Distance Between Centers: 47"
Headstock & Tailstock Taper: MT#2
Overall Length:
(includes motor at max.) 74"
Bed Length: 66.5"
Spindle 45"
Tailstock Travel: 4 1/4 "
Face Plate 6"
Spindle Thread: 1.25" x 8 TPI
Voltage: 220 volts
Headstock/Tailstock Bore: 3/8"
Indexing Position: 24
Packing Size: 68" x 22" x23"
Weight: 500 l and just under 2k

Mobyturns
29th September 2012, 11:39 PM
Darryl like all new product lines it pays to do your research before committing to a purchase. US forums have quite a bit of banter on Laguna's.

Big Shed
30th September 2012, 07:54 AM
The Laguna lathe is made in China and is sold around the world by different companies, Grizzly and Laguna in the US, Busybee in Canada and Hare & Forbes in Australia. It has recently been added to the Scheppach range and now it appears Gregory Machinery is bringing it in as well after losing the Jet agency to Carbatec.

If you do a search on this forum for WL46 you will find a lot of threads, this being one (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/changing-guard-115302/), and quite a few forunites (including myself) own this lathe.

ticklingmedusa
30th September 2012, 01:12 PM
I live about 100 miles from Laguna west coast US headquarters and considered buying one.
Their bandsaw has a good reputation here and being that close I would have saved considerably
on shipping costs or picked a lathe up myself.
I followed a thread at a stateside turning forum about someone who experienced poor
customer service after purchase. I don't remember details but the lathe was not useable
and the new owner reported completely unsatisfactory response...
it went on like that for a while and I ended up buying a different machine based on that one
bad review.
Certainly it could have been an isolated event.
The incident took place close to 10 years ago and hopefully quality control and customer
service have improved.
That being said their lathes do have some great features including a sliding headstock
on some models.
Find out from your local supplier about aftermarket support before buying.
Best of luck and if you do end up with one I hope you share your review with us.
tm

robo hippy
1st October 2012, 04:05 PM
Well, they have added a 20 inch and a 24 inch lathe to the line up, and Woodcraft and Rockler are selling the Laguna tools. I have their 16HD bandsaw, and it is a great tool, but I had some issues with it and they were no help at all. Seems like customer service has been lacking. If you watch their lathe demo tapes on You Tube with their 18 inch lathe, let me say 'scary', some one needs to tell him how to sharpen, and some one needs to show him how to turn bowls.

robo hippy

dr4g0nfly
2nd October 2012, 05:57 AM
As noted, various companies are doing a copy of this lathe. I've got one myself from Axminster see here including a downloadable manual AWVSWL 1200D (http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-awvswl1200d-woodturning-lathe-prod875881/).

When it first came out I understand it had a 2HP brushless motor, now it's a 2HP 3 phase motor with built in inverter.

I wrote a review for my UK AWBG Forum here (http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php/topic,669.0.html), if it's any help.