PDA

View Full Version : 30 bowls and platters

Willy Nelson
28th September 2012, 12:37 PM
Good Morning All

Well, I had an enforced break from turning a carving earlier in the year after back surgery. I have recovered from that, but been concentrating on the Indoor Beach Volleyball. Played in Darwin 2 weeks ago and we won the Grand MAsters, therefore, I am now a Grand Master Champion of Australia!

Anyhoo, thought I should get back into the turning, so last Friday, knocked off work early and got into the shed at 1300. I turned until 2100 that night, only breaking for a cuppa and a back stretch.
Normally I will turn a bowl or platter and only finish the top and sides. I put it away and then when I have enough, I do what I call a 'Bum sesh'. Essentially, this means fitting the 500 mm coles jaws to the VM120 chuck and arrange all the bowls and platters by diamater and finish all the bums. I do it this way as I hate mucking around with the coles jaws to get them to fit for each bowl, a longworth chuck would speed things up.
Well, I managed to finish over 30 bowls and platters including some up 47cm in diameter down to 12cm. There are even a couple of natural edge bowls (not shown) in the mix. I am now painstakingly oiling them with the Danish Oil

Other than the obvious Jarrah and Jarrah Burl, what other timbers can you see?

Oh yeah, I am posting this at 0930 WA time, on a work day as I have rolled my ankle playing hardcourt volleyball with the Navy and am off work for 7 days. I hate midday TV, luckily I have 12 games of rugby league to catch up, plus the GF Sunday.

Cheers
Willy
Jarrahland

Paul39
28th September 2012, 01:26 PM
My heavens Willy, Are you 20 something and doing speed? That is more than a years worth of output for me. --------------------------------------------------- Nice looking turnings.

Willy Nelson
28th September 2012, 01:33 PM
Mate two problems with your statement,
1. Who does woodturning at 20 something?
2. Grand Master is a kind way of saying, Old bugger!

Oh yeah, forgot to address the bit about speed, don't want people to think I am a druggie, so, Nope, not on speed either.

Just had a good solid session, uninterupted by kids, phones etc
Willy

My heavens Willy, Are you 20 something and doing speed? That is more than a years worth of output for me. --------------------------------------------------- Nice looking turnings.

Oiliver
28th September 2012, 01:48 PM

I do!! (Not even quite 20 yet, at that) :U

But some stunning pieces in there! I like them a lot. What wood would the pale platter in the front of Pic 3 be?

And also, I will take a stab in the dark and say that the small pale creamy-brown bowl on the right hand side of Pic 1 is some sort of Olive?

Sawdust Maker
28th September 2012, 01:59 PM
Noice :2tsup:

hughie
28th September 2012, 02:05 PM
[Just had a good solid session, uninterupted by kids, phones etc

Dont we all wish :U Still adarn fine effort Willy :2tsup:

bench1holio
28th September 2012, 02:52 PM
thats a champion effort willie! :2tsup: some real nice looking jarrah burl in that lot

bassmansimon
28th September 2012, 06:10 PM

Me too! Just had my 27th bday, and love love love woodworking.
Don't mind having a chat to the old fellas and getting all the tips I can get :)

Great looking bowls you've got there. I've only made about half a dozen bowls so far, but addicted to turning (pens at the moment).

artme
28th September 2012, 06:32 PM
Having a dinnert party Willy?:D:D

Great effort!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Willy Nelson
28th September 2012, 06:53 PM
Ha Ha
I was just joking, as both my kids turn pens, at times.

Nope, no Olive in there

There is Jarrah, Jarrah Burl, Sheoak, Marri and quilted Blackbutt
Cheers
Willy

I do!! (Not even quite 20 yet, at that) :U

But some stunning pieces in there! I like them a lot. What wood would the pale platter in the front of Pic 3 be?

And also, I will take a stab in the dark and say that the small pale creamy-brown bowl on the right hand side of Pic 1 is some sort of Olive?

dr4g0nfly
29th September 2012, 06:23 AM
Nice looking collection you made there.

Have they a destination in mind or do you normally just knock out 20 bowls/dishes for something to do!

No good me trying to guess the wood, nothing European I can see.

Willy Nelson
29th September 2012, 10:06 AM
Hello Mate
Yes, they will end up as Chrissy presents, in shops and galleries and stolen by family members
Willy

Dalboy
29th September 2012, 08:13 PM
A great days work some good looking wood there. What with all the other bits of woodwork this more than a years worth for me.

and stolen by family members
Willy

Know that feeling about family:hahaha:

Mrs Woodpecker
29th September 2012, 08:54 PM
Great effort. Won't even try to better that one!! :2tsup::2tsup: