PDA

View Full Version : Work Experience Experience

brendan stemp
4th October 2012, 09:34 AM
I occasionally get contacted by someone wanting to do work experience, usually a young bloke doing Yr 10 at school. All of my experiences have been good, mainly because they are keen woodworkers. My last one was no exception. Damien lives in Koorawatha, near Cowra NSW, (a long way from Horsham Vic.) so he had organised with me to come down in the first week of his school holidays with his mum, grandmother and sister. THey stayed the week in the local Caravan Park.

I was amazed at what he already knew about woodturning and woodwork in general and was able to get him doing productive work straight away. I only wish he lived a lot closer so I could give him regular work. Below are a couple of pics from the week including a biggish redgum bowl with carved feet he made.

If anyone knows of more 'Damiens' who want todo some woodturning work experience send them my way.

spankingpigeon
4th October 2012, 04:57 PM
Id love to do some work experience, are you able to come over to Brighton in Adelaide. lol

BobL
4th October 2012, 07:14 PM
:2tsup: Anything that get's young blokes away from those wretched keyboards (pot calling kettle black?) and onto something like this has to be a good thing!

dai sensei
4th October 2012, 07:42 PM
He's done really well :cool:

Great to see you helping out and encouraging the younger generations :2tsup:

artme
4th October 2012, 09:40 PM
Good on him!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

:2tsup: and you!:)

TTIT
4th October 2012, 11:03 PM
I had a similar one here for a while but she's gone off to uni' studying engineering now - was a natural on a gouge :cool: Hope she gets back to turning one day - bought her own Jet lathe at 17 but her mum reckons she's going to sell it out from under her while she's at uni' - bit@# :~

dr4g0nfly
5th October 2012, 06:03 AM
He looks very relaxed stood there at the lathe, well done, it's all about bringing on the next generation of turners.

angryranga
5th October 2012, 07:47 AM
That's awesome to see brendan, got to keep that younger generation interested, there is definately not enough of them motivated to do manual labour.:2tsup:

daryl1
5th October 2012, 11:39 AM
We need to see more of Damien and his fine work on this forum. Here is a world class turner in the making. Keep up the good work.

NeilS
6th October 2012, 12:39 PM
And now he can put on his CV that he worked for a while with Brendan Stemp, who worked with for a while with Richard Raffan...:cool:

Durdge39
6th October 2012, 07:27 PM
Good to see some young lads putting in a good effort with work experience! Well done to him. As a younger lad in year ten I did work experience at funnily enough, the same place I scored a job at once I finished school! He might be back knocking on your door in a couple of years Brendan! Well done to you also mate.

Tom.

Lumber Bunker
14th October 2012, 09:44 AM
Good to see that the teacher had a good time too!

Damian is one of my Students here in Cowra, (I teach him PE) and I've spent many a lunch time with him in the wood room on the lathe, he is commited, thats for sure.
Lots of progress this year :)

I spoke with him at length this week about his holidays, and he has nothing but praise for you and your work. He was particularly taken with the mixed media (carving and turning) peices that you showed him.

Thanks for having him Brenden, and thanks for lighting a spark under him.

Steve Thomas.

brendan stemp
14th October 2012, 10:09 AM
Good to see that the teacher had a good time too!

Damian is one of my Students here in Cowra, (I teach him PE) and I've spent many a lunch time with him in the wood room on the lathe, he is commited, thats for sure.
Lots of progress this year :)

I spoke with him at length this week about his holidays, and he has nothing but praise for you and your work. He was particularly taken with the mixed media (carving and turning) peices that you showed him.

Thanks for having him Brenden, and thanks for lighting a spark under him.

Steve Thomas.

Wow, thanks for the feedback Steve. I am a little surprised to hear from one of his teachers on this forum but good to hear from you nonetheless. As to "...lighting a spark under him" I think the spark was already there and all I did was put a little extra fuel on it.

And lets not forget the job you teachers do, and must've already done with Damien. He spoke with some enthusiasm about his school so it must be a good one if a 16yo boy is getting animated about it.:2tsup: