PDA

View Full Version : Book Ends

turnerted
4th October 2012, 05:30 PM
G'day
Here's a set of bookends I just finished turning from an old railway sleeper.I made no attempt to fill the cracks as I think they are part of the history of the timber but I did pour heaps of CA in to make sure it all held together while turning .Apart from being as hard as any burl I've turned,this presented some interesting challanges in mounting and then holding it while cutting it in half .
The size 120mm thick by 210mm diam. The finish is DO and then I used a wad punch to cut some little pads from rubber sheeting and glued three to each half .
Hope you like.
Ted

wheelinround
4th October 2012, 05:36 PM
Ted they look a work of art like them lots.

smiife
4th October 2012, 08:16 PM
very nice ted,i like them and very functional too!
well done:cool:
cheers smiife:2tsup:

bassmansimon
4th October 2012, 09:19 PM
Hi Ted these look amazing. I love the look of them

I'm wondering if you could indulge me as a turning newbie. Could you be so kind as to detail exactly how you made these step by step?

I cant even imagine how you would turn this shape. All my turnings have been done with a grub screw or a face plate with screws - obviously not possible with this figure without making a big ugly hole in the back of it.

Christos
4th October 2012, 09:33 PM
I like them.

Scott
4th October 2012, 09:54 PM
Simple but effective, very well done. Love the colour of the timber and the shape. :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
4th October 2012, 10:33 PM
Ted

Great work

TTIT
4th October 2012, 10:57 PM
Excellent bit of recycling Ted :2tsup::2tsup:

dr4g0nfly
5th October 2012, 06:01 AM
I love the way different people see different things in the same bit (well you know what I mean) of wood.

Your right to not have filled the cracks they make the pieces.

angryranga
5th October 2012, 07:50 AM
They look excellent ted, very nice indeed.:2tsup:

hughie
5th October 2012, 09:18 AM
Ted,

Bookends, excellent idea I always have a need for these.:2tsup:

turnerted
5th October 2012, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the comments.This is the third set I have made.
This is how they were made.
For the first attempt, I mounted the blank on a faceplate ,expecting the screwholes to be in the waste wood. They weren't and I had to fill two of the holes latter. The other two were lost when sawing in half . Actually only another turner would pick the filled holes .Anyway I shaped one side,mostly using pull cuts then bored a hole for a screw chuck. I then turned it over, mounted on the screw and turned the other side
I did not have confidence that my bandsaw blade would not wander cutting timber as thick and as hard as this , so I chose to cut it on my table saw but my tablesaw depth of cut is only 80mm so it meant two cuts.I made up a sled for the table saw consisting of two rails holding a bowl shaped depresion,sat the finished turning in it and pushed it through the saw with my wife operating the on off switch. I then turned it over and cut from the other side. I found it very difficult to line up the two cuts, but it came out near enough . A 40grit belt on a linisher tidied it all up.
I sat one half on a bit of 12mm MDF and traced round the outside then cut the shape out . I was then able to sit the half section in the cutout and run it through the table saw to cut the base.

For my next attempt I screwed a bit of ply on the faceplate to increase the diameter and mounted the blank on that, but I ran into even more problems The screw holes were visable and even worse I had three screws snap off when trying to remove them . One is still in the finished job which caused all sorts of headaches. This time I left my blank almost square and when I had I turned the first side, I took it to the tablesaw and using the square edge made a cut halfway through ,hoping to use the cut as a guide when I finally cut it in half .I also made up a smaller screw chuck to mount mount on when turning the second side so's I didn't have to hide part of the screw hole on the cut face.

For the third attempt I glued a tennon on instead of using a face plate and abandoned trying work with a square blank.When it came to cutting it in half I fitted a bridge to my sled and on this I mounted a couple of large bolts which I was then able to screw down to hold the job which made it much safer and I could cut it on my own. Alignment is still difficult but I get there . I think on the next attempt I will make some sort of register in the middle of the bowl shape and on the bridge to line things up.

This has been pretty long winded but as I said, there were challanges.
Ted

artme
5th October 2012, 07:41 PM
Well done Ted!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

My imagination doesn't stretch that far BUT I will keep this beaut idea in mind.:)

turnerted
6th October 2012, 05:45 PM
bassmansimon
If you want further details on how to make this, It's only about 40 minutes from casula to burwood and I can explain how to make it in detail . PM me if interested.
Ted

bassmansimon
6th October 2012, 06:20 PM
Thanks Ted that's a really nice offer. Might take you up on that once I get back from holiday :)

Sawdust Maker
8th October 2012, 11:20 AM
bassmansimon
If you want further details on how to make this, It's only about 40 minutes from casula to burwood and I can explain how to make it in detail . PM me if interested.
Ted

Tell me when as I might invite myself as well :D

turnerted
8th October 2012, 04:27 PM
Nick
I wasn't actually offering to demonstrate making a set of bookends as it takes me the best part of a day but just go through the tools and method I use but you would be most welcome if this interests you . I'll let you know if it happens.
Ted

bassmansimon
8th October 2012, 04:36 PM
The face to face on how you mounted it would probably be the main thing for me.
thanks for the offer Ted.
simon