PDA

View Full Version : Skew chisel question

hughie
5th October 2012, 09:49 AM
I have been meaning ask this for awhile and have finally remembered.

I have the traditional flat skew chisel, its an old Sorby carbon steel variety and it works well.

Question: What if any do you see are the advantages of the oval skew with the curved cutting edge over other varieties,types etc ? Or for that matter a curved cutting egde on the conventional skew?

RETIRED
5th October 2012, 10:16 AM
IMHO. The traditional rectangular or square skew is the best to use. It is even better if the short side is rounded as in P&N and a few others.

The oval skew is too light, it is hard to sharpen without a jig (if using a platform), the bevels at the shoulders give very little support for "V" cuts and end grain cutting and lastly the oval shape makes it hard to do a peeling cut.

The curved cutting edge (commonly called the Raffan grind) has no advantages as far as I can work out, and yes, I do use one occasionally. :D

brendan stemp
5th October 2012, 10:45 AM
I would agree with . I'm not sure if there are any advantages to the oval skew and the curved edge just complicates the traditional use of the skew and makes it more likely to cause problems. Having said that I do like thinness of my 12mm oval skew for certain jobs and I do have curved shape skews that I use for shear scraping of bowls.

Rod Gilbert
5th October 2012, 11:06 AM
I am another one who prefer's the square section skew I find it far more easy to use than the oval section. The oval was supposed to be better for rolling cuts but I find it less stable than the square. And yes the short side of the chisel is much better if the sharp edges are removed by a slight rounding to that edge(it doesn't drag on the tool rest). But like most tool's you usually like to use what you learned with and have sucess with. I believe you should try everything you can but use what you're comfortable with. As with all skill's ask 5 people how to do a particular task and you will get 5 different approaches to the task try them all and use what work's for you.
Regards Rod.

Paul39
5th October 2012, 11:33 AM
Question: What if any do you see are the advantages of the oval skew with the curved cutting edge over other varieties,types etc ? Or for that matter a curved cutting egde on the conventional skew?

The biggest advantage of the improved and endorsed by Famous Turner skews over the plain accursed skew is they more quickly remove $$ from the wallet of the turner and deposit in the account of the manufacturer.

RETIRED
5th October 2012, 12:32 PM
The biggest advantage of the improved and endorsed by Famous Turner skews over the plain accursed skew is they more quickly remove $$ from the wallet of the turner and deposit in the account of the manufacturer.Right on.:cool:

hughie
5th October 2012, 12:43 PM
[The biggest advantage of the improved and endorsed by Famous Turner skews over the plain accursed skew is they more quickly remove $$ from the wallet of the turner and deposit in the account of the manufacturer :U I reckon your right.

I must confess I posed this question and I had some thoughts about the oval set up myself. But as self taught turner with all the vagaries that this often brings, I sort the thoughts of my peers here, and I am of similar opinion.

The traditional rectangular or square skew is the best to use. It is even better if the short side is rounded as in P&N and a few others.

Something I had not thought of :doh: but will definitley be doing a mod. on my own one.

artme
5th October 2012, 03:23 PM
I have ahalf inch oval skew. PITA.

should have spent my money otherwise.

Scott
5th October 2012, 04:02 PM
I ground a curve to one of my skews and after 10 minutes of using, regret slowly seeped through my colon.

Christopha
5th October 2012, 10:22 PM
The 3/4" or 1" P&N skew with the radiused (sp) bottom edge ground with a curve is a bloody brilliant tool. Can be used easily for concave curves (not coves obviously!), rolls over beautifully and simply for beads and the "point" does peeling cuts beautifully. The oval skew was invented by mongrels for simpletons with too much disposable cash/ Poor buggers who are easily conned by salesbastards because they don't know any better. I got screwed when I started long ago and have had a violent aversion to bastards with "new" tools ever since.

Simple straight forward tools that have been around forever take some beating. The turners of old didn't have a fancy cupboard with 100 different tools. They owned a skew maybe but usually just a gouge or two, a chisel and a few tools ground for specific jobs. They didn't have diamond laps, bench grinders or Tormek things, often just a small stone that ran outboard on the headstock. Most didn't have anything flasher than leg power.....

RANT ENDS!

Christopha
5th October 2012, 10:24 PM
I ground a curve to one of my skews and after 10 minutes of using, regret slowly seeped through my colon.

Take another 10 and then maybe even another 10 after that. If that doesn't do it then you need a colonoscopy!

DJ’s Timber
5th October 2012, 10:28 PM
Hello Christopha, are we gunna see you at the Melbourne show this year?

fozz
5th October 2012, 11:30 PM
From a beginners point of view, I started out with a cheap set of tools one of which was the oval skew. After pending a day at 's and get some tips on using the skew I then spent many hours turning bits of pine into shavings until I got the hang on it.
Then I went and bought a flat skew, dunno how much the hours with the oval skew helped but the flat skew is definitely alot easier to use.

issatree
6th October 2012, 02:47 AM
Hi All,
I would call Myself a " Skew Man ", as I have I think 13 Skews, & this is counting Parting Tools & Beading Tools.
I agree with , but I do like the " Raffan Grind " with a curved Blade.
I do a Lot of Roughing Down with a Skew.
Would more than likely Rough Down with a Skew, than with My P&N Roughing Gouge.
I have some very nice McJing Steel Skews, approx 6 Pieces, & I can't fault the Steel in them.
I Rounded the Bottom, just like My P&N's, but P&N are My Favourite Make.
I have always thought that the oval skew, was just a Fad, & as was said it would be hard to sharpen.
I only use a 60 & 120Grit W A Oxide Wheels 6in. & always keep them clean.
Christopha, said he doesn't do Concaves, but I have taught Myself to do them, & with ease & Confidence, & is also a bit quicker, than having to reach for a Gouge. If it leaves a mark, the Sandpaper will remove it anyway.
I Absolutely Love My Skews.

HardingPens
6th October 2012, 04:00 AM
I think I am in the minority here, but I love my oval skew, it is the tool I reach for most often during spindle turning. I like the fact that it slides along the tool rest easier and does less damage to the tool rest than a traditional rectangular section skew.
I do prefer a straight grind skew, mainly because that is all I have ever tried. I intend to try a rounded grind on one of my old skews, just have not gone there yet.

dr4g0nfly
6th October 2012, 06:30 AM
I've all three types, oval, rectangular and rectangular with a rolled edge.

Discounting my Roughing out skew, I tend to use Ovals in the larger sizes (I can adjust the position on the rest more easily) and rectangular in anything under 1/2".

As for the rolled edge (3/4" Crown I think) I've yet to get it to hold a decent enough edge long enough to get used to, but I like the idea.

Jonzjob
6th October 2012, 08:10 AM
The 3/4" or 1" P&N skew with the radiused (sp) bottom edge ground with a curve is a bloody brilliant tool. Can be used easily for concave curves (not coves obviously!), rolls over beautifully and simply for beads and the "point" does peeling cuts beautifully. The oval skew was invented by mongrels for simpletons with too much disposable cash/ Poor buggers who are easily conned by salesbastards because they don't know any better. I got screwed when I started long ago and have had a violent aversion to bastards with "new" tools ever since.

Simple straight forward tools that have been around forever take some beating. The turners of old didn't have a fancy cupboard with 100 different tools. They owned a skew maybe but usually just a gouge or two, a chisel and a few tools ground for specific jobs. They didn't have diamond laps, bench grinders or Tormek things, often just a small stone that ran outboard on the headstock. Most didn't have anything flasher than leg power.....

RANT ENDS!

Sorry for your tunnel vision Christopha, but here is one that has a 1" oval skew that works perfectly well in my hands. I also have a 1/2" rectangular skew with the corners radiused to make it slip along the tool rest and a 3/8" round skew that I made from a 4" X 3/8" HSS bar and that is just as lovely to use as the other 2. I also experimented with an old Record rectangular carbon steel skew and radiused the cutting edge after hearing how wonderful it is and found it OK but no better than the others.

I suggest that it may well be a good idea to take your tunnel vision glasses off and try it again? You may well be surprised but mind you? It may well be too difficult for you:wink:

I may well be a 'simpleton' but I definately don't have too much disposable anything either..:D

As they say "generalisations are always wrong":doh:

NeilS
6th October 2012, 01:26 PM
....I do have curved shape skews that I use for shear scraping of bowls.

Ditto

I was given a bunch of used turning tools years ago which included some oval skews that I have never used as skews (I have enough fun getting my P&Ns to behave themselves), but found the ovals ground to a curve are very good for shear scraping bowls. I find the oval cross-section is ideal for finely adjusting the shear scraping angle.

I would have never bought the ovals myself, but having been given them I have found a very good other use for them.

stuffy
6th October 2012, 03:14 PM
I like using a 1" oval skew on small to medium sized spindles for planing/smoothing a cylinder, taper or gentle curve. The oval section allows tool rest support directly in line with the cut and the handle.
The thinner edges allow better access in tight spots for detailing such as tucking in a bead next to a flat.

I prefer the p&n shape for heavier cuts and peeling cuts.

I'm not a huge fan of curved cutting edges as I like nice crisp angles on the long and short points but they are of some use for a wide skew where you don't want the whole edge cutting or you want a longer cutting edge or for coves when you don't want to change to a gouge.

Best wishes

Steve
:U

Christopha
6th October 2012, 06:36 PM
Hi All,

Christopha, said he doesn't do Concaves,

Learn to read.......:roll:

Christopha
6th October 2012, 06:43 PM
Sorry for your tunnel vision Christopha, but here is one that has a 1" oval skew that works perfectly well in my hands. I also have a 1/2" rectangular skew with the corners radiused to make it slip along the tool rest and a 3/8" round skew that I made from a 4" X 3/8" HSS bar and that is just as lovely to use as the other 2. I also experimented with an old Record rectangular carbon steel skew and radiused the cutting edge after hearing how wonderful it is and found it OK but no better than the others.

I suggest that it may well be a good idea to take your tunnel vision glasses off and try it again? You may well be surprised but mind you? It may well be too difficult for you:wink:

I may well be a 'simpleton' but I definately don't have too much disposable anything either..:D

As they say "generalisations are always wrong":doh:

What I was saying and it's kinda obvious is that the oval skew was and is aimed at the poor newchum who is told by some shonky salesman that it will make turning with a skew simpler. IT DOESN'T!
However, if you are a competent turner who is confident with a skew then they are just as easy to use as anything else. Anything can be used as a skew, even an axe if you know how and understand what is happening at the edge.

Take your head out of your tunnel Pal and don't be too quick top jump to conclusions....:q

Jonzjob
6th October 2012, 09:34 PM
Jump to conclusions? Me?? No chance, I'm too old to jump anywhere especially with my head in this tunnel :;:;:;:U

Sorry if offense was caused, non was meant. Just my twisted sense of humour :B

Drillit
7th October 2012, 11:43 AM
Hello Hughie,
While a slight diversion from what you have said. I only use the traditional skew for V cuts and end grain slicing. I was lucky enough
for my mentor, John Ewart (well rspected production turner and teacher) to craft me (2) of his Skewarts. These have a flat top with the a left and right traditional cutting edge (both sides). John
wrote about these in the Woodworker some time ago, but I havent been able to find the Article to refer to. To aid the sliding of the tool
on the rest I have lightly sanded the long edges. They work really well and help avoid dig-ins because of their structure. You have to make sure you are on the bevel,
but they are terrific. Well worth a read, including his articles about the use of the skew. If I do come across the article, I will e/m you, unless some one else has it at hand. Drillit.

Paul39
7th October 2012, 02:04 PM
Here is the Skewart issue:

Issue One Hundred and Fifty Three (http://www.skillspublish.com.au/awwbackindex153.htm)

hughie
7th October 2012, 02:49 PM
anybody got a pic of the 'skewart'?

Drillit
24th October 2012, 04:01 PM
Hello Hughie,

Details re skewart attached. See also AWW 153, article by John Ewart. Drillit.

hughie
24th October 2012, 11:52 PM
Drillit, thanks for that. :2tsup:

Drillit
25th October 2012, 09:49 AM
Hello Hughie,
Hope you found the skewart details helpful. If you make one I think that you will find the peeling cuts work very well, but you must be on the bevel.
As to the oval skew, my view and I dont own one, is that they dont seem robust enough at the thinned edges. Apart from my skewarts, I have a 1/2"
and 1" where I have sanded the long edges for better sliding on the toolrest. I tend to use them for v cuts and end grain slicing, but I love the 1/2" for cleaning up.
Drillit.

Bazza
25th October 2012, 10:13 AM
Hello Hughie,

Details re skewart attached. See also AWW 153, article by John Ewart. Drillit.

Thanks Drillit

Well i'll be,I have what looks like a skewart given to me in a set of woodturning chisels made by Marples, Its12 mm wide, sat in a draw for 2yrs and never used it, did not know what is was , Think i'de best sharpen it and see how it goes.

Bazza

RETIRED
25th October 2012, 10:44 AM
Thanks Drillit

Well i'll be,I have what looks like a skewart given to me in a set of woodturning chisels made by Marples, Its12 mm wide, sat in a draw for 2yrs and never used it, did not know what is was , Think i'de best sharpen it and see how it goes.

BazzaI would hazard a guess that you have "diamond point" tool.

Does it only have a bevel on one side? The "skewart" has 2 bevels.

Bazza
25th October 2012, 10:58 AM
I would hazard a guess that you have "diamond point" tool.

Does it only have a bevel on one side? The "skewart" has 2 bevels.

Hi ,

No it has a bevel on both sides, The length of the bevel down the center line is about 15mm and tapering down to an upside down v point with a cutting edge about 10mm long on either side of point.

Bazza

RETIRED
25th October 2012, 11:45 AM
Does it look like this?

Diamond Point Turning Tool 1/2 inch (13mm) x 10 inch (200mm) by Robert Larson - Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Point-Turning-Robert-Larson/dp/B0032OV2QW)

Bazza
26th October 2012, 08:36 AM
Does it look like this?

Diamond Point Turning Tool 1/2 inch (13mm) x 10 inch (200mm) by Robert Larson - Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Point-Turning-Robert-Larson/dp/B0032OV2QW)

Yes sort of mine has a long bevel on the underside

Bazza

Cliff Rogers
26th October 2012, 08:57 AM
That is a diamond point tool, the skewart has bevels on the top & bottom of the tool.

Bazza
26th October 2012, 09:17 AM
Ok Cliff, Thank you.

Bazza