PDA

View Full Version : new to the forum

fcamilleri
4th October 2012, 08:24 PM
Hi i bought a first lathe a rhino half horse and i would like to buy a drive center for itthe shaft has a tread and i would like to see if any body knows anything about this i live in sydney can anybody help thank you.

Frank

Paul39
7th October 2012, 04:15 AM
It looks to be one of the Chinese beginner lathes made in many colors with many brand names.

Press a piece of cardboard firmly against the end of the spindle thread to get an impression, and do the same with the threaded part. This will get the diameter and threads per inch (TPI).

Take the above to any store that deals in lathes and see what they can come up with.

If nothing is forthcoming, ask here and I can describe how to make one from a nut and steel plate.

There is a world of wisdom here, do random reading and search specific topics.

hughie
7th October 2012, 08:55 AM
Hmm, By the look of it the 4jaw chuck was originally for a metal turning lathe, so it wont be of great worth for you.

Take the chuck off and check if you have a tapered hole in the shaft, if so good It will take a drive centre ok. If you post a few pics at this point it will easier to help, hopefully one of the forum memebers who has owned or still owns will chime in here with some details.

Head stock thread dimensions etc, while the chuck is off measure the dia of the thread and the TPI or threads per inch. Do this by laying the a rule along side the threaded portion and measure the distance between the high points of the thread.

Now the simplest way to get help might be to look around for a local club as they can see what you have first hand. As mentioned you have a low cost Chinese by the look of it and it'l do to get you going. Its nothing fancy and it will have some limitations that you will in time find to be a PITA by this stage you will ready to move on.

daryl1
7th October 2012, 09:09 AM
Same as the Dynalink, Craftmaster, Ryoby etc. good for someone to start with. This is how I got started. A cheap way to see if the woodvturning addiction will stick.