PDA

View Full Version : Saw this

RETIRED
8th October 2012, 05:33 PM
on an American site. Looks interesting. Duxterity LLC (http://www.resp-o-rator.com/)

NeilS
10th October 2012, 06:54 PM
Thanks

Worth a look.

Down to 0.3 microns is as good as it gets with dust filtration and initial cost is very reasonable.

Just how comfortable it would be to wear would be an individual thing. Some can't cope with the nose clip and others dislike the drool that drips from the front vent, while others prefer them.

My only concern is the replacement cost of the HEPA filters and how frequently that would be required.

One user in this forum discussion (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?101264-Has-anyone-used-Resp-o-rator) is changing the filter in his single filter unit once a week. Maybe that is the frequency of filter replacement required for an everyday user and an occasional user (eg weekends) would be far less. Low initial cost and higher running costs are more suited to the occasional user.

If the everyday user above requires two new filters every two weeks; that's over $200 per year at US$7.95 a pair + shipping costs. That is quite expensive over time. I'm not sure how that compares with the frequency and cost of the filter replacement for, example, the Airshield.

There is a review in Fine Woodworking here (http://www.finewoodworking.com/toolguide/toolguideproduct.aspx?id=5768).

The Resp-O-Rator may be a good option for some turners.

issatree
11th October 2012, 01:45 AM
Hi ,
Yes, I thought his work was of A Very High Standard. Big Prices I thought.
That person Neil was talking about, changing those Filters every week, I thought, was a bit over the top. Then again, he may have a really bad allergy towards Wood Dust, & that keeps him working.

Jonzjob
11th October 2012, 03:15 AM
I normally breath through my nose and anything like that would drive me up the wall. About the only time that I have ever used a snorkel is in the water, but I couldn't get to like that..

I'll stick with my JSP Powercap Lite IP. I am able to vac the filters out when they get choked up and as long as the little flow gauge tells me the air is still coming through OK that suits me. More expensive than the one in the link, but worth it for me..

hughie
11th October 2012, 09:16 AM
From my point of view it addresses a couple things that have irked me with the others, namely field of vision and fitting under a visor, plus low tech.

First off having done some diving the breathing through the mouth is no problem and the changing of filter etcs Is not a problem either for me. When you use any sort of filter set up there's maintenance. But this one is about as low tech as you can get.

So it gets my Dumb Klutz Usage Award for ease of use and maintenance. :2tsup:

I like the idea of the field of vision not being effected, I have a respirator and find the same problem with it as he mentioned and it will suit those with facial hair plus it looks like it will fit under any face shield. Its light wieght to boot and looks like it can be dis-assembled into a small bundle which is ideal for demos etc.

I dont find the communication aspect a issue either as to get good communcation I have to take my current set up off anyway and would imagine this would apply to most of the others out as well. Anyway I dont really have an audience in the shed when turning. Its normally me and the Burmese and she's after is the mice that come around. :U

Price, well we all have to make a buck and anyway the cost of producing this especially toolling up would not have been cheap and all this has to be amortized across the production run and I doubt that it will becomes a runaway best seller.

Although I see it could have a wide appeal across wide ranging number of industrial and domestic tasks, that'l come down to his marketing ability and funds available. So the $70 costing when I compare the other around seems reasonable.

Filter changing would be effected by usage and conditions and thats avariable for all of us. The only thing for me is cost and availability of the replacement filters.That would stop it cold in its tracks for me if there hassles there.