PDA

View Full Version : Tough lathe questions

bookend
9th October 2012, 05:14 PM
I am thinking of getting a Tough lathe but have a couple of probably stupid questions.

Is it possible to use a lamp auger with a tough lathe as there is no hole in the tailstock?

Also, on a similar note, with no hole in the tailstock, how do you knock out a stuck centre?

Christopha
9th October 2012, 05:34 PM
I am thinking of getting a Tough lathe but have a couple of probably stupid questions.

Is it possible to use a lamp auger with a tough lathe as there is no hole in the tailstock?

Also, on a similar note, with no hole in the tailstock, how do you knock out a stuck centre?

Tough lathes were a good solid lathe used a lot in schools until Woodfast copied them and then sold theirs....

You cannot use your lamp auger with the lathe unless you modify/change the tailstock.

Mine, from memory, had a self ejecting tailstock.

IMHO should you buy the Tough you will have a good basic beginners lathe that is built like a brick schidhouse but which also has many limitations compared to currently available makes.

bookend
9th October 2012, 07:52 PM
Thanks for that. Can the tailstocks be modified without spending a fortune?

Now for the other question. What about centres stuck in the tailstock?

Rod Gilbert
9th October 2012, 08:00 PM
As stated by christopha the tail stock is self ejecting meaning you wind the hand wheel back until the centre ejects if not the centre you have is to short in the morse taper. If this is the case you may be able to grab the centre with a pair of vise grip's or similar and give it a twist to try to release it.
Regards Rod.:2tsup:

Tim the Timber Turner
9th October 2012, 08:17 PM
Tough lathes were a good solid lathe used a lot in schools until Woodfast copied them and then sold theirs....

:no:I don't think so Christopha.:no:

I remember Woodfast released their 50th anniversary lathe in the 1980s.

From memory they were developed from the Hyco lathe by the Charlie Hagan.

I don't think tough were around 70 plus years ago.

Sorry to rain on your party.

Cheers

Tim

Christopha
9th October 2012, 08:22 PM
:no:i don't think so christopha.:no:

I remember woodfast released their 50th anniversary lathe in the 1980s.

From memory they were developed from the hyco lathe by the charlie hagan.

I don't think tough were around 70 plus years ago.

Sorry to rain on your party.

Cheers

tim

damn! Wrong! ​again!!!!!!

bookend
13th October 2012, 11:10 PM
Well I've now bought the lathe and I am about to change the base and the 3 phase motor for a 2hp single phase motor and give the lathe mechanical variable speed, with the aid of a variator that I already have.

Thanks for your help.

Paul39
14th October 2012, 04:16 AM
Well I've now bought the lathe and I am about to change the base and the 3 phase motor for a 2hp single phase motor and give the lathe mechanical variable speed, with the aid of a variator that I already have.

Thanks for your help.

Pictures please!!