PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Turnings

Paul39
10th October 2012, 12:38 PM
It is fall here and leaves are turning color. This brings flatland touristers to town to look at leaves and buy handicrafts.

Below is what goes to my sellers craft shop on Thurs.

Many thanks to Mrs. Blackie for the idea of mushrooms.

Paul39
10th October 2012, 12:47 PM
236257236255236256236258236259236260 The last one was a mistake and I haven't figured out how to remove it.

artme
10th October 2012, 05:31 PM
Neat collection there Paul!! I like the simplicity of your designs.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

smiife
10th October 2012, 07:53 PM
hi paul,
you have been busy,some nice looking pieces there,well done:cool:
do you expect to sell all of these pieces??or just some of
cheers smiife:2tsup:

Paul39
11th October 2012, 02:40 AM
hi paul,
you have been busy,some nice looking pieces there,well done:cool:
do you expect to sell all of these pieces??or just some of
cheers smiife:2tsup:

I discuss with the owner what will sell and for how much, and leave them on consignment. Once or twice a year I bring new things and check to see if any of the older ones have developed cracks or gotten shop worn.

If they haven t sold in a year I bring them home and rework or sell directly.

About 3/4 of them sell in a year. Sometimes I show a work in progress to friends and they just have to have it. So the piece is sold before it is finished.

The shop gets 40% and they pay early in the month following the sale. Checks come at random intervals. The big season is right now and New Years Day. Surprisingly Christmas sales are not big.

The money I get goes into a crazy money stash so when a good deal comes up on a tool or chuck I have ready cash. When a 1995 20 inch swing, DC variable speed Woodfast for $900 appeared at my local den of iniquity, I looked, agonized, went home, did research, slept on it, went back the next day made an offer of $800, waited a day while the shop checked with the owner who consigned it, he countered with $850. I put it on the plastic and paid it off in 3 months.

I think turning is the most fun you can have with your clothes on, so I am in front of the lathe 4 to 7 times a week.

Paul39
11th October 2012, 02:52 AM
Thanks all for the nice comments. I forgot to mention all of the timber is from demolished buildings, tree trimmings or found along side the road.

The two oak bowls are from floor joists of a house built about 1900, they did not move a bit between roughing and finishing.

The walnut mushroom came from a 20 foot long log that was in the yard of a friend. I asked if I could have it for fire wood. He said, "help yourself, it is walnut and has been lying there 20 years". Only the off cut bits go in the stove.

Jonzjob
11th October 2012, 03:01 AM
Nice selection there Paul. I have always liked mushrooms and thinking about it I haven't made any for ages.

I have always found it great when you can dive into the workshop, enjoy yourself, sell what you've made for beer tokens as well. All of the tools I have were bought with the spoils of what I have made.. Several beers too :D

It can go too far though. I had an email yesterday asking if I make English beer engine handles. If I still did then 100 for a start! Probably 850 all together. I nearly fell off me perch!:o:o

These are the things, about 9" high. Lovely to make, but there are limits to me poor little Record CL1

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/IMG_6279.jpg