PDA

View Full Version : Kreg Jig

oges
26th June 2001, 02:24 PM
I guess this question can go here....

Anyone watch Channel 9's Our House show? Shirl, the guy who does the woodworking things on the show has been using this Kreg Jig to do his joints, it helps drill diagonal holes which you then put screws through to fasten legs to tables etc.. Has anyone used ones of these? your thoughts on it? worth buying?

Brett

Shane Watson
26th June 2001, 04:26 PM
Havn't used one, but seen them used several times. Been hounded by the rep to buy one too http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/mad.gif

The yanks talk highly off them. And they no doubt serve there purpose well. Although I feel they are overpriced.

I hate the great big elongated hole thats left behind. Even filling with manufacturers caps or dowel, you still see them. Ok, they will be where you don't usually look, but I know they are there. Mind you the main reason this gets to me is because the reps main reason for trying to sell one to me was for use in restoration, when having to rebuild pieces he insisted one of these would make the job quicker, easier etc. Which it would, but can you imagine the look on my clients faces after they found evidence of such a joint? http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/eek.gif not to mention loss of value etc etc.

Although I would certainly consider buying one if I did a lot of face frame construction.

I would be interested in others comments regarding this tool. Also would be interesting to hear anyones experiences using this jointing technique in high stress applications.

Personally, I can't imagine this jointing technique to be as strong or supportive as traditional joinery. But if your looking to quickly slap somthing together, I guess its the right tool.

Just my 2.2cents inc. GST! http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif

Cheers!

------------------
Shane Watson..

Combine Love & Skill & You Can Expect A Masterpiece!

John Saxton
26th June 2001, 07:50 PM
Hi Brett,An excellent choice of jig for quick assembly
of Face frames or any frame construction.

I had some misgivings initially about the hole left as Shane, has pointed out but having built a couple of cabinets, using the jig I can only give the thumbs up for it.
Mind you I generally use a biscuit jointer for most of my work but this jig has added another choice for me.

I have the bench mounted model which is screwed to one of my benchs with texta marks on the bench to the left and right of the jig being a measure for drilling the holes.
The screws used in conjunction are the Robertson square drive screws with long thread which are marketed here in Oz by Sachy's in Melbourne and they will send you a sample pack to try out with a driver included should you contact them.

The Sommerfeld brothers in Iowa have had nothing but huge amounts of success with this jig and are continually upgrading the models to suit all manner of craftsman.

The Oz agent is Gregory Machinery in Brisbane.
Hope this helps.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

Woodchuck2
7th July 2001, 06:46 PM
Hi Brett,
The Kreg jig is used to make what are normally called "pocket" holes.I have found it very useful for joining table rails to legs (square section) instead of the more traditional methods. Combined with a good glue it makes a very strong joint very quickly.
Cheers,
Woodchuck

------------------
Woodchuck

rjpeters
15th January 2007, 01:49 PM
where can I by the kreg tool from in victoria as I need a new drill bit

Iain
15th January 2007, 01:59 PM
Woodworkers Warehouse in Braeside have all the jigs and associated bits, including bulk screws.
I am making a stand for the new TV soon and intend using it for this, the holes can be hidden behind cleats to support shelves etc rather than using the expensive plugs.
I made most of our kitchen using the Kreg, it is fast, accurate and surprisingly strong, not for fine furniture but definately has its place.

lesmeyer
16th January 2007, 11:39 AM
As Iain said. Does have it's place. When buying the drill bit, be sure to get the Kreg or the CMT brand of the bit. They last much longer for only a few dollars more.
Les

jaspr
16th January 2007, 08:26 PM
You can get cheaper versions - Trend make one, as does Carbatec. Probably not as good as the Kreg, though. I've got the Kreg and I like it.

Carbatec in Canberra stock the Kreg system - not sure about other states, though.

Gumby
16th January 2007, 09:53 PM
The Sept 2004 edition of the triton Club newsletter featured an article in which Stuart built his kitchen cabinet using a Kreg pocket Hole jig. It also featured a short article on the jig itself.

That newsletter is no longer on the Triton Club website but i have a copy I can email to you.

Send me a PM with your email address if you want it.

Just George
16th January 2007, 10:32 PM
I saw Shirl the other day on Our House, to be honest I can't remember what he was making though. I moved into a new house a few months back, I grabbed a box from the garage marked "videos" and put a few on and one of them was "Our House" with Shirl. He is sadly missed by all especially family(of course) but also by many DIY'ers.

la Huerta
19th January 2007, 08:04 AM
i got the kreg just before xmas, and then slaped myself in the face several times for not getting it sooner...

it's fab !

i'm able to get my work completed in half the time with minimal woodworking skills, and still have a pro result...who would have thought...

Jasey
26th June 2007, 01:29 PM
Tried the carbatec one out, nothing on the Kreg. The Carbatec one is aluminium and the shaft is easily chewed up by the bit, though the steel guide seems solid enough. Get the Kreg for sure.

meerkat
27th June 2007, 03:40 PM
Woodworkers Warehouse in Braeside have all the jigs and associated bits, including bulk screws.
I am making a stand for the new TV soon and intend using it for this, the holes can be hidden behind cleats to support shelves etc rather than using the expensive plugs.
I made most of our kitchen using the Kreg, it is fast, accurate and surprisingly strong, not for fine furniture but definately has its place.

Anyone out west for the screws ?

munruben
27th June 2007, 03:53 PM
I got the Kregg and its terrific.