PDA

View Full Version : Drill Sharpening

woodsie50
3rd July 2001, 10:31 PM
What is the best way to sharpen drill bits ?
Which drill sharpening jig do you recomend,
or if your sharpening by hand what is the best procedure ?

Thank you for your help.

Rod Smith
4th July 2001, 04:15 PM
G'day
I do mine by hand, its not too difficult, except the 1mm ones, but I do them as well. Only once a while back when I wanted a really accurate brad point to use in my router for a dowelling jig did I use a jig which screws to the bench and uses the side of the grinding wheel.
Cheers
Rod

Rod Smith
4th July 2001, 04:23 PM
Sorry just read your question again re procedure. Easier to show you but I'll give it a try.
First present the bit to a grinder so that the appropriate angle is achieved, rotate bit so that you start grinding at the same angle behind the cutting edge. Maintaining the angle lightly push the bit against the wheel (vary according to size of bit), almost immediately slightly increasing the pressure move the bit up and over the wheel to remove material behind the cutting edge so that the bit doesn't bottom out when drilling. Repeat on the opposite flute. (or whatever its called). Check for symetry. Although you can get the bit to drill and off centre hole (slightly larger) if you don't have the correct size. The angle can be adjusted according to use, more aggressive for timber and less for metals.
Practice on larger bits.
Cheers
Rod

woodsie50
4th July 2001, 09:09 PM
Thanks for your advise Rod, I give it a go on the weekend.
In your first reply you said you used a jig when you needed to be accurate, could you tell me the brand name of this jig and do you recommend it.

Thanks again

Rod Smith
5th July 2001, 01:32 PM
Just had a look at the jig, has a plate on it "Drill Grinding Attachment". Helpful, eh?
I've only used it for the one bit, probably a bit of a pain with various drill lengths and to set it up each time. Years ago my father (R.I.P.) bought an electric sharpener, but it fell to bits. By hand is the best for me. Do take more off behind the sharp edge than you think to get the thing right.
Cheers
Rod

Iain
5th July 2001, 01:42 PM
Iv'e got a Bosch that I rarely use. I think it's only good to about 1/8. Can't even find it now, that's how often it's used.
Attaches to a drill.
------------------
Measure Twice, Bugger up once!!

[This message has been edited by Iain (edited 05 July 2001).]

woodsie50
8th July 2001, 09:58 PM
Thanks again for your replies, I sharpened a couple of drill bits on the weekend and they turned out sharper than what they were, which means that I must be doing something right.

Practice makes perfect they say.

regards woodsie