PDA

View Full Version : Time to play

gus3049
14th October 2012, 06:00 AM
Last year, before I had to spend eight weeks in hospital having my body remade into some sort of working condition, I was starting to get into a groove with my turning. Of late, it seems to have reverted to basics as I just haven't felt that inventive.

So today, I chucked a bit of yew on the lathe and just attacked it with the sharp pointy things and let it lead me where it would. I ended up with a pretty standard hollow form, which was not the intention. I was reasonably impressed that the sides were a nice even thickness all the way down but that hadn't been the idea.

So I sat down the the rotary tool and a few burrs and started whittling.

The result is OK I think, if not outstandingly wunnerful. But it is a start and I hope I have started the ball rolling again in the right direction.

Any comments will be welcome.

hughie
14th October 2012, 08:52 AM
Gordon I know what you mean about being in the groove and then not. I had a sabatical from it for couple of years and it was a uphill climb coming back.

But you've managed it ok. :2tsup: The Yew pieces are great and the carving has definitely enhanced the piece no end. Welcome back ot the groove. :U

vk4
14th October 2012, 09:35 AM
What he said,:):) I'm in the same boat.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Paul39
14th October 2012, 10:04 AM
Gus,

That is most interesting. Did you add color to the higher part, or is there a colored layer that you cut through to get to the lighter area?

Very nice.

ADD: I just looked at your photos on Flicker, you do spectacular things. Wow! I like your green chicken house too.

Scott
14th October 2012, 10:26 AM
Very inspiring piece there. I'm worried about my return to turning as I'm at the beginning of an enforced time away from the lathe after a hand accident, which occurred at the beginning of September. I won't be able to go back until January, at least. Thanks for sharing your story, you've given me a bit of heart :)

artme
14th October 2012, 12:44 PM
Gus you are a true artist! that is a remarkable piece!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

gus3049
14th October 2012, 03:23 PM
Gordon I know what you mean about being in the groove and then not. I had a sabatical from it for couple of years and it was a uphill climb coming back.

But you've managed it ok. :2tsup: The Yew pieces are great and the carving has definitely enhanced the piece no end. Welcome back ot the groove. :U

Thanks Hughie,

I have another 2.95 whole trees of yew to get through so I can keep practicing until I get it just right. I do enjoy this kind of turning. Even more than 'straight' (:think:) turning, it tends to be a voyage of discovery, I never have a final result in mind.

gus3049
14th October 2012, 03:25 PM
What he said,:):) I'm in the same boat.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hi,

Keep on turning, it'll come round.

gus3049
14th October 2012, 03:29 PM
Gus,

That is most interesting. Did you add color to the higher part, or is there a colored layer that you cut through to get to the lighter area?

Very nice.

ADD: I just looked at your photos on Flicker, you do spectacular things. Wow! I like your green chicken house too.

Hi Paul,

The idea with these is to use the contrast between the heartwood and the sapwood to show the different layers and colours. Yew can be spectacular when its good although I have had one tree thats a bit 'brown'.

The chicken house was my first construction in the garden. Its now been joined by three others, a greenhouse and a few arches. How I get time to turn I don't know. My wife - the gardner and animal keeper - is so demanding.

gus3049
14th October 2012, 03:32 PM
Very inspiring piece there. I'm worried about my return to turning as I'm at the beginning of an enforced time away from the lathe after a hand accident, which occurred at the beginning of September. I won't be able to go back until January, at least. Thanks for sharing your story, you've given me a bit of heart :)

Hi Scott,

Frustrating isn't it. I reckon its a bit like riding a bike, you might be a bit wobbly at first but it soon comes back and you ride off into the sunset at great speed:U

Jonzjob had an operation on his hand recently and had to lay off for a bit. I'm sure he will confirm that its fine getting back on the lathe.

gus3049
14th October 2012, 03:38 PM
Gus you are a true artist! that is a remarkable piece!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

You are very kind.

Its not quite where I wanted it to be but my wife, bless her, thinks its fine and I should "stop fussing" about the details. The overall effect is good. Its strange but some pieces just look good and others feel superb in the hand and its interesting to turn them round and see all the different views. By following the grain with the carving out, it changes completely as it turns.

This is a 'feely' one really, the fact that yew feels like satin when its polished up helps the effect.

dr4g0nfly
14th October 2012, 05:18 PM
Yew, the king of European softwoods, always fantastic to yurn and see.

Paul39, for the difference between the heart and cambium layers think of your Dead Finish wood.

Paul39
15th October 2012, 03:23 AM
Yew, the king of European softwoods, always fantastic to yurn and see.

Paul39, for the difference between the heart and cambium layers think of your Dead Finish wood.

Closest in the US would be Black Walnut, creamy white outside, dark brown heart. I have a whole tree salvaged from land clearing down the street.

Jonzjob
15th October 2012, 06:08 AM
They are quite something Gordon! I have always like yew both for the turning and the result. What you have there is a goodie, BUT when are you going to get yer bum in gear and get some of it down here???

Good to see that you are getting back into your groove mate!

Paul, I am intrigued by "dead fish wood"? Opps that should read 'dead finish wood", but I am still intrigued? I really will have to get me eyes tested!

Scott, as Gordon said, I have had to lay off fro 4 months and then slowly, slowly catchie monkey and it's good to get back into turning.

Paul39
15th October 2012, 06:30 AM
Paul, I am intrigued by "dead fish wood"? Opps that should read 'dead finish wood", but I am still intrigued? I really will have to get me eyes tested!

Here is a thread about dead finish wood: http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/dead-finish-127232/

Photos of same in post # 14.

Looks exactly like our black walnut here in the USA.