PDA

View Full Version : GMC Thicknesser

STEPHEN MILLER
30th March 2005, 12:44 PM
Has anyone bought a GMC thicknesser and what are they like ,have looked at one in a Banner near me looks all righrt for home jobs etc for $379.00
GMC rep reckons it will handle hardwoods like jarrah etc he was doing a demo and had pine, oregon and did these with ease :)

Thommo
30th March 2005, 12:51 PM
Hi Stephen,

I have the GMC and I find it excellent for what it is.:D
I have put a fair bit of jarrah through it and it is fine.
As long as you dont try to take to big a bites out of it, it does the job easy
I have had it for over a year now and not had a problem with it
Recommend you buy it

Thommo

Gumby
30th March 2005, 01:42 PM
With a warranty like they offer, how can you lose?
30 money back if you don't like it ;)

noodle_snacks
30th March 2005, 03:45 PM
Yeah, mines all good as well. I got mine for $329 and have since put over 150m of purely hardwoods through it without trouble so far.

routermaniac
30th March 2005, 09:24 PM
got mine for $299 at the www. well worth the money and it will chew up most hardwoods quite nicely. :D

Slavo
31st March 2005, 05:54 PM
How does the GMC cope with the wood chips/dust generated? Do they clog up the rollers and do you guys use a dust chute (eg. Timbecon's)

noodle_snacks
31st March 2005, 06:39 PM
haven't had any trouble with clogging, generally since i don't have a dusty yet i just take it outside on two saw-horses and a bit of scrap mdf or something and do it all on a tarp, then i wrap it up to go somewhere in the garden

routermaniac
31st March 2005, 07:22 PM
Im getting the timbecon attachment, but for now have been using the usual chute with a strategically placed rubbish bin below/behind. No problems with clogging up... just cleaning up :-)

will buy the chute and a little dusty when I have the space.

hingston
1st April 2005, 03:46 PM
Im getting the timbecon attachment, but for now have been using the usual chute with a strategically placed rubbish bin below/behind. No problems with clogging up... just cleaning up :-)

will buy the chute and a little dusty when I have the space.

I have got the timebercon dust chute and added it to the GMC thickneser.
Thicknessing is now much more pleasant.

As point of note you must always have a decent sized DC connected and running when you have the chute on.

"Makin Sawdust"
3rd April 2005, 12:33 AM
I also have GMC thicknesser and I am happy with it, softwood & hardwood ( jarrah) present no problems! I have made dust chute from 500mm of 100 mm PVc pipe with slot length of chip chute and fixed via aluminium brackets to existing wing nuts as suggested by someone else on this forum recently. When hooked up to GMC 2 bag dust extractor, works brilliantly.
Cheers, Les.

Finger Dicer
3rd April 2005, 08:21 AM
Can anyone point me in the direction of that post regarding the pvc outlet for a 12 thicknesser. I saw it once but forgot to bookmark it :(

STEPHEN MILLER
6th April 2005, 10:06 AM
Bought GMC thicknesser at local Banner they now have Advantage card for regular customers gets you 5% off most things in store so paid $360 Bunnings had same item for $359 so went to local store
So thanks for the help guys and have already put a bit of jarrah through it chips go well in the garden. :cool:

TrevorOwen
6th April 2005, 12:37 PM
Finger Dicer - I think this is what you are after.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/member.php?u=3836

Regards fro Adelaide
Trevor

Chesand
6th April 2005, 02:29 PM
GMC and Ryobi factory seconds thicknessers are on sale for about $200-00 at GPT Tools, 41 Adrian Rd. Campbellfield (off Glenbarry Rd, opp Ford Factory). Come with usual guarantee.
Also have sanders and drills at very good prices

Finger Dicer
6th April 2005, 07:22 PM
Finger Dicer - I think this is what you are after.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=129171#post129171

Regards fro Adelaide
TrevorMany thanks Trevor. The unit has been made and fitted to the thicknesser. It took about an hour to construct after work today, and yes its been tested. It works very well too.

I have made a couple of very small changes to SWR's original design. The new camera is due in about a week so I will be posting lotsa piccys for people to look at.

To S. Miller, the GMC should be fine. Except for cosmetic changes its the same as my Cobra and the Ryobi. I was going to buy a GMC until I spotted the Cobra at Mitre 10 for $70.00 less than the GMC. Scotchman rulz again :)