PDA

View Full Version : Grinding wheels

river rat
30th March 2005, 09:53 PM
I have a wolverine sharpering system with a 8" delta grinder and am replaceing the grinding wheels. I was wondering what the differance between white, pink and white grinding wheels.

River Rat

rsser
31st March 2005, 06:55 PM
Well I could be a smartarse and say the colour, but I won't ;-}

The white should be fine for your needs. Go for friable and coarse grit - 40 to 60.

If by pink you mean Ruby, these are meant to cut cooler. I have one on my grinder (80 grit) and I think the propaganda might be true tho it does seem to clog quicker than the equiv grit white wheel.

If by 'white' you mean blue: never tried one - read the advertising guff and balance cost against benefit. If you're a hobby turner like me, white wheels do just fine.

Babytoolman
1st April 2005, 08:03 AM
Hi Rat,
Mate i use a white wheel and it does well. It as Rssr says does not clog fast and it does cut cooler. If you use a buffing wheel in conjunction with this then you will get good sharpening results.

adrian
1st April 2005, 09:50 AM
Where do you get those white wheels? I've tried every outlet in Port Macquarie and no-one stocks them. Can't see them on the Carbatec and Timbecon sites either.

I'm beginning to think that they are an urban myth :confused:

Gingermick
1st April 2005, 11:31 AM
Yes it a magical well spring that inly a few can access. PM me your credit card details and I shall get you onehttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon11.gifmick

adrian
1st April 2005, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the offer but I just found them on the Timbecon site. Don't know why I didn't see them before.

Gingermick
1st April 2005, 12:46 PM
I live in a smallish centre (50000 odd pop) and they are only available at the local engineering supplies store. none in hardware stores.

Mick

DanP
1st April 2005, 02:35 PM
I live in a smallish centre (50000 odd pop)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D LMAO.

Gingermick
1st April 2005, 02:50 PM
Maybe not small compared to Cobram I suppose but I used to live in Melbourne and Brisbane. about the size of a suburb