PDA

View Full Version : Carving the scroll violin renaissance

violincrafter
30th March 2005, 10:32 PM
This is hand carving without any electric tools whatsoever. It just another example of one of my classic violins and authentically only one in the world.

Its semi complete in this photo but there are others that are collectors items that I only give out to WHOM I CHOOSE!

Carving is great fun and it gives lots of interest.

This s the photo,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v616/stevensho/violin.jpg

The cross in the background like wise is one of my carvings with mother of pearl inlay rosewood, ebony gold, maple and hand painted angelic stations. I have a maple carved Christ figure but refuse to fix it or nail it. Its boxed in cardinal velvet and is sealed with seals of Solomon and planetary hours.

:p

Pat
31st March 2005, 08:05 PM
What type of wood do you normally carve. I muck around with Australian hardwoods, (Iron Bark & Tallow Wood mainly) as I can get them from work. Looks good, is the head, a representation of Jesus? The cross in the background looks good too! :)

violincrafter
1st April 2005, 08:28 PM
Hi Pat,
The timber I use varies but most is maple and or beech. I like either of these timbers for they exhibit good carving capabilities.

Yes the figure is that of Jesus Christ. I like the old masters that carved timber for churches and cathedrals of Europe back in the times when quality was given over numerous hours of skill and no electric tools. It made the artist have to seek their inner circle of expertise to achieve what Strad accomplished in violin making.

This is one of the arts that require the craftsman to express himself from a instilled virtue of hidden talent. The cross is from a renaissance era or Gothic reference and I like this period.

multinut
3rd April 2005, 09:36 AM
violincrafter
nice work
i also like the no powertool aproach to carving
feel the wood - not the machine

cheers
multinut
:cool:

bitingmidge
3rd April 2005, 09:52 AM
i also like the no powertool aproach to carving
feel the wood - not the machine

Nothing like the searing heat of a carving chisel going through the palm of the hand to liven up a Sunday morning eh?

Nice work VC,

Cheers,

P :D

multinut
3rd April 2005, 09:57 AM
would rather a carving chisel than an arbortech

bitingmidge
3rd April 2005, 11:48 AM
would rather a carving chisel than an arbortech
Funny you say that, at the Maleny wood show a few years ago there were a couple of old codgers carving on a club stand.

One with a chisel the other with a small arbortech thing... BOTH had the piece on their lap, one slip would have meant a very nasty injury at best, and death within a few minutes if they had hit the right spot.

I couldn't watch, and pointed it out, but was given the you-know-what!!

Be careful boys and girls.... it CAN kill you!

P :eek:

Pat
3rd April 2005, 12:37 PM
Any carving that I do is with the piece securely located on the bench! I keep my large body away from sharpish edges and mallets. I have enough knicks, scars for my liking. Vices, clamps & sand bags are my favourite protective devices. People may have learned the skill and confidence to carve using their body to cradle the wood, but for me, knowing that I am uncoordinated, clumsey and a novice, I'll take the safe way out!

Pat

(I know that I am safety conscious and I have the scars to prove it!)

MathewA
3rd April 2005, 02:07 PM
Wow impressive! I must have been very bad because there is noway my eyes are good enoughto attempt that.

violincrafter
4th April 2005, 08:04 PM
Carving in anyform requires good security. I have various techniques that prevent injuries from occuring. Firstly and the most common prevention is NEVER force a blade towards your body. Always work away from it and use leverage away from ligaments.

When required I use a blank of wood with a leather adjustable strap that fits the shape of the human palm. This is a backing "plate" to carving chisels and if you slip past the "target" carving the blank will recieve the "blow".

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v616/stevensho/safety.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v616/stevensho/safety1.jpg

You have to use various vises to secure your work and sometimes glue the piece to a blank fixing piece and when finished remove it from your masterpiece.

I havent had any mishaps by utilizing a carefully thought out approach to safely carve timber. Chisels have to be extremely sharp and constantly stropped with a leather piece and polishing rouge to finalize edge.

As far as eye sight goes its unfortunate if those of you wanting to undertake carving cant due to diminished eye sight try sculpture with clay at a bigger scale. This is fun to!

As a final for my carvings I do the finishing cuts at night under candle light which emphasizes the subject under shadows that amplifies balance, harmony, and detail. I guess I have good eyesight so far! Im 93 so far and fly like a bat lol :eek:

echnidna
4th April 2005, 08:22 PM
'I do the finishing cuts at night under candle light which emphasizes the subject under shadows that amplifies balance, harmony, and detail.'

great idea, really get the artistic juices flowing! :) :)

ozwinner
4th April 2005, 08:26 PM
As a final for my carvings I do the finishing cuts at night under candle light which emphasizes the subject under shadows that amplifies balance, harmony, and detail.
Ohhh please!!
Now you sound like a total tosser!!

Al :eek:

violincrafter
4th April 2005, 08:31 PM
Tosser what is that? You know what it is! Please explain in detail. What Ive posted is true! Except my age! LOL