PDA

View Full Version : Thicknesser or Jointer

jess22
31st March 2005, 05:38 PM
Having taken the advice I received from this forum I have just sold my Triton and bought a Jet saw, which I am happy with to say the least!

The next question that I have is do I need a thicknesser or a jointer? Most of the timber I work with is either skip dressed or seconds, which I pick up at auctions. I was originally thinking that I would need a thicknesser, but having searched the forums here I am getting more confused.

Any help would be appreciated.

p.s Is a thicknesser going to really annoy the neighbours?

Jack E
31st March 2005, 06:48 PM
You have just gotten rid of your triton, nothing will annoy your neighbours!!!

Buy both!!

routermaniac
31st March 2005, 07:19 PM
most will say go the jointer first... I'll be different and say if you can only afford one buy the thicknesser first... You can effectively perform the same function (although slower) with the combo of a good table saw and thicknesser. I'm still doing it now due to lack of space for a jointer...

If you have space and money for both, buy both. It is true, he who dies with the most tools does win:D

regards

marios

Gumby
31st March 2005, 08:41 PM
As you have probably read, a thicknesser won't fix warped or twisted boards. It just makes them an even thickness but retains the warp. You need a jointer to do that properly. I'd recommend a combo like the ML 392 (do a search on that) as a cost effective solution.

ryanarcher
1st April 2005, 03:04 AM
I agree with BJ. Get the thicknesser first, then build a jointing sled like in FWW. then you can joint boards up to 12" (or whatever width your thicknesser is). I just recently bought a jointer, and used my sled for years.
-Ryan

Jack E
1st April 2005, 07:46 AM
Ryan,

Do you have any pictures or details of your sled?

Jack.

ryanarcher
1st April 2005, 12:29 PM
It's been used for scrap and jigs since I bought the jointer, but pm your address, and I'll photocopy the article and mail it to you.
-ryan

barnsey
1st April 2005, 02:20 PM
I've got a 6" jointer and It's great but would love a thicknesser :rolleyes:

Been gathereing bits to build a sanding thicknesser - anyone care to comment on that approach - I figure if I can get one reasonable surface I should be able to work from there but still worry about getting wide boards flat.

Jamie

bitingmidge
1st April 2005, 02:49 PM
p.s Is a thicknesser going to really annoy the neighbours?

Not always! http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=108594&postcount=29

I think it was Marshall McLuhan who wrote something like this on the relativity of sound: The sound of a noisy car exhaust coming up your street at 2.00 am is one of the most annoying sounds you can hear.... unless it is the car bringing your daughter safely home.

Same principal works for thicknessers too.

Cheers,

P
:D

echnidna
1st April 2005, 03:05 PM
I've got a 6" jointer and It's great but would love a thicknesser :rolleyes:

Been gathereing bits to build a sanding thicknesser - anyone care to comment on that approach - I figure if I can get one reasonable surface I should be able to work from there but still worry about getting wide boards flat.

Jamie
a sanding thicknesser is very very slow as it only takes a little bit off at a time and is not really a practical alternative to a thicknesser.

silentC
1st April 2005, 03:22 PM
Same principal works for thicknessers too.
So if you are feeding her 'boyfriend' through it for bringing her home late, it is actually an enjoyable sound?

QldWoodie
1st April 2005, 04:04 PM
a sanding thicknesser is very very slow as it only takes a little bit off at a time and is not really a practical alternative to a thicknesser.
I endorse this. I have a thicknessing sander and a thicknesser. If I have glued-up panels to get flat and they don't fit through the thicknesser I flatten them using a hand plane. The real value of the thicknessing sander is for timber with difficult grain. I admit that one of the main reasons I bought the thicknessing sander was for flattening glued-up planels, but over time I've got better at gluing them better up in the first place so they don't need much flattening.

My recommendation:

1) buy the thicknesser, and try to select boards that are pretty straight and true to start with to obviate most of the need for the jointer. Most thicknessers will open enough so with care you can also run the edges through the thicknesser (run several boards on edge at a time).
2) Unless you are making fairly small stuff (boxes and the like) then try to hold out for an 8 inch jointer. Edges of boards can be quite readily straightened with a 6 inch jointer, but flattening boards or taking the twist out of them is far easier on an 8 inch. I perservered with a 6 inch jointer for years until I traded up to an 8 inch last year and now I am a happy person

Qw

boban
1st April 2005, 08:36 PM
If it has to be one or the other then I'd buy the thicknesser first. I got by without the jointer for a while by thinking of ways around it. I think its a lot harder with the jointer as it cannot control the thickness of the stock.

If you can swing it, buy a combination machine. The prices of these seem to compare favourably with individual machines even if little inconvenient. On the upside you get a machine that can turn bad timber (warped,twisted and cupped) into usable dressed stock.

Different
2nd April 2005, 12:28 AM
OK my 10 cents

Thickness Sander is really only for difficult grain, very thin material and glued up panels where for reasons of grain matching you have the grain direction of one half of the panel running in opposite directions.

Thicknesser is more usefull in most respects than a jointer if you can only afford one. It is true that badly warped or twisted boards can't be flattened in a thicknesser but this type of material is better cut up into small components anyway. If you do try to joint one of these boards first to get it flat and then thickness to an even thickness all you end up with is a sheet of veneer!
Not a fan of Combo machines as the tables are always way too short!
When buying either machine think "John Holmes" SIZE IS EVERYTHING" buy the biggest you can afford and then buy a little bit bigger. I know I hear you saying but I only use 6" boards why do I need a 12" jointer? If you got it you will use it.
Ross

Kilgore Trout
2nd April 2005, 01:45 AM
If you can only afford one, I strongly suggest selling something and buying both. ;)

Glenmore
2nd April 2005, 02:38 PM
I have a dewalt 733 planer works great. Had to get myself a jointer though so I bought a 4 inch jointer from grizzly. I'm only going to use it for edging of the board. Would have loved for a floor model but space is an issue I used to use my tablesaw for squaring the edges way to much waste involved.

jess22
3rd April 2005, 01:23 PM
Thanks to all for the feedback and advice. Seems as though more research equals more money, but I guess you can't take it with you........

lyptus
5th April 2005, 02:53 AM
I've gone through this same debate myself- as I suppose we all have. I have a portable Makita thickness planer and flatten/joint my boards using hand planes. With hand planes it doesn't matter how wide your boards are and my thicknesser can handle widths up to 12". The question of hand planes vs. a jointer is really a question of volume. If you're a weekend or evening woodworker that is not in a rush- I think hand planes in place of a jointer is the way to go. However, if you have the space, are into mass production, already own a dust collection system, and don't mind the noise- then buy the jointer.

- Lyptus