PDA

View Full Version : Who has a Record Lathe?

Ozartisan
31st March 2005, 08:55 PM
HI Guys
Came across a deal I couldn't pass up a few days ago, so now have all the pieces (it seems) for a Record CL3 / 36 lathe. 1999 build but unused (old stock from old hardware place), as well as a headstock (minus motor) for a DML24X-MK2.
Anyone have any experience with these?
Record in England were very prompt in emailing me the manuals, but I am interested in any comments from people with hands on experience.
Thanks guys
Peter
Happyinsydney

Ozartisan
3rd April 2005, 10:34 AM
Guess that's why it was still on the shelf gathering dust - seems no-one in Oz uses "Record Power".. :D :D :D
Don't have room to set it up now... will have to wait till I can build the "Big" shed!
Did bench test the motor & headstock tho - very quiet & smooth for a belt driven lathe - bloody heavy... quite solid with well finished castings.

bobz
3rd April 2005, 01:58 PM
I use a Record lathe here in UK. You said it all in your last post, they are excellent lathes for the money. Here`s a photo of mine with a variable speed unit and a copying attachment I purchased from the states. You have a good machine there, enjoy.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robert.deacon/robert.deacon/WebPhotos/LatheDuplicator2.jpg

Paddy
3rd April 2005, 06:50 PM
Have only been turning a couple of years and started off by buying a Record CL3 lathe Second hand, with two extra mounting rods to allow the previous owner to turn 6 ft lengths of timber ( was keen on standard lamps ).

Welded up a heavy steal stand out of 50mm square tube to replace the rather wobbly timber stand that it came with and have had a lot of fun since.

Have turned up to 400 mm blanks using an extension on the base frame to mount the tool post. It may not be hi-tec but it's rugged , reliable and easy to use and maintain.

Bought a replacement drive belt whilst in the UK as they are hard or impossible to get over here, however the old and rather frayed belt seems to keep on going.