PDA

View Full Version : Threaded acorn box

powderpost
22nd October 2012, 10:41 PM
Here is the latest project, just finished this afternoon. Turned from budgeru (I think). Measures 40mm diameter and about 70mm long excluding the bent bits on the ends. Finished with Shellawax liquid. Threads are hand chased and 20 tpi.

tea lady
22nd October 2012, 11:18 PM
:cool: So how did you do the bent bit? Carving? Looks great.

dr4g0nfly
23rd October 2012, 07:32 AM
Nice tidy threads you managed there.

Do your Acorns have the bit protruding from them like that? I know there are lot's of different Oaks around the world, but the European one's don't - Just curious by-the-way.

Mobyturns
23rd October 2012, 08:02 AM
Nice work. That budgeroo is a bit of a change for you, instead of the lovely rainforest timbers we usually see in your work.

hughie
23rd October 2012, 08:15 AM
Nice one Jim that Budgeroo takes a thread really well. Bit of a change tho', only two segments :U But with your usual high standard of form and finish. :2tsup:

powderpost
23rd October 2012, 09:25 AM
:cool: So how did you do the bent bit? Carving? Looks great.

They are carved TL.
Jim

powderpost
23rd October 2012, 09:30 AM
Dragonfly,
We don't have oak trees here, the curved bit on the bottom is a bit of artistic licence.. :)
Moby,
This is the result of the N.Z. experience.... :wink:
Hughie..
Still two pieces tho???
Jim

hughie
23rd October 2012, 12:05 PM
Still two pieces tho???

Bit of a play on your normal pieces of somewhat complicated segmenting. Something us'n mere mortals boggle at let alone have go at duplicating. :no: :C :U

bench1holio
23rd October 2012, 12:15 PM
beatiful peice of work jim :2tsup:

turnerted
23rd October 2012, 04:24 PM
A good effort Jim .You're a becoming a wiz on this thread cutting.
Ted

artme
23rd October 2012, 08:14 PM
Nice bit of Budgeroo put to good use. Like it!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

powderpost
23rd October 2012, 09:39 PM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments. Rest easy, I am only taking a spell from segmenting for a bit, they tend to give me a head ache.. :D. There is another segmented piece on the way. :wink:
Jim

powderpost
23rd October 2012, 09:42 PM
A good effort Jim .You're a becoming a wiz on this thread cutting.
Ted
Actually Ted, it is easier and more reliable to cut a thread, than to make push fit lidded boxes.
Jim

dai sensei
23rd October 2012, 09:46 PM
:cool: :2tsup:

TTIT
23rd October 2012, 09:57 PM
Nice job Jim :2tsup: I wouldn't worry about the stem bit - it's that long since I've seen an acorn I never noticed it - and I'll bet there's very few punters in FNQ that would know what they should look like either :;
I would have thought Budgeroo might be a little 'crumbly' for chasing - what did you think of it???

powderpost
23rd October 2012, 10:04 PM
Nice job Jim :2tsup: I wouldn't worry about the stem bit - it's that long since I've seen an acorn I never noticed it - and I'll bet there's very few punters in FNQ that would know what they should look like either :;
I would have thought Budgeroo might be a little 'crumbly' for chasing - what did you think of it???
G'day Vern
The piece of budgeroo used for this job was a delight to turn. Sanded well and polished well. I was apprehensive about chasing threads with it. It was a bit crumbly so I waxed the half cut threads and it cut ok, but is on the limit of a "good threading" material.
Jim

issatree
23rd October 2012, 11:02 PM
Hi Jim,
Although I haven't read all the posts, so I'm guessing that this hasn't occurred to all.
I made a few of those, but not threaded, for the Sewing Ladies, & they wanted a hole through the Stalk, so as the could put their Favourite Thimble in it & wear it with a Chain.
Didn't quite work, as I found out later, they would roll across the Ladies Chest.
Solved the problem, by drilling the Hole on an Angle through the Stalk.
BTW a very nice job, & I must have another go at them.

coffenup
25th October 2012, 09:13 PM
nice one Jim
Regards Michael

Sawdust Maker
25th October 2012, 10:04 PM
Superb work, Jim

powderpost
25th October 2012, 10:28 PM
Thanks Gents, made more today, they are fun to make, plus the thread chasing is becoming more successfull more regularly now... :rolleyes: But then even monkeys get better with regular practice???? :D
Jim

coffenup
26th October 2012, 05:21 PM
see Jim
old dogs can learn new trick
:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Regards Michael

Sawdust Maker
27th October 2012, 08:21 PM
woof!