PDA

View Full Version : Bearings in the old Wadkin

dennisk
29th October 2012, 06:28 AM
This started on the Titan lathes thread, and Neil asked if I could put up pictures of wip on the old Wadkin BL150. The headstock bearing was starting to growl a bit and so I thought I would change both while I had it in pieces. Took it apart and ordered new flanged bearings, got them and found the flanges were slightly different in size than the originals. The originals were pinned? with split pins, into the housing, I guess after all was aligned in the factory(the bolts are 1/8" bigger at least than the bolt holes). I wanted to be able to get the new flanges into approx the same position as the old ones, so I made up some frames out of 3/8" MDF with cutouts the same size as the original flanges and clamped them into place with originals in place. Then i removed the originals and bolted the new ones in place snug with shims to the MDF frames and then broke out the MDF frames. Tried for alignment and it was close so I played with it until it was right on, tightened up the bolts. Last picture shows it running at 2850 with a penny on top. Smooth and quieter as well.Thanks

hughie
30th October 2012, 11:48 AM
...and I reckon it will be a darn long time before thats done again. Bearings that size have a load capacity way in excess of what the lathe will dish out.

dennisk
30th October 2012, 03:33 PM
Ya 50mm inboard and 40mm outboard, now if it had a little more over the bed,it wouldnt be for sale. The Titan will be in its place in a couple months, will send some pics when its all hooked up.

hughie
31st October 2012, 12:18 PM
Ya 50mm inboard and 40mm outboard, now if it had a little more over the bed,it wouldnt be for sale. The Titan will be in its place in a couple months, will send some pics when its all hooked up.

Bummer after all the work and doesnt look like you could easily jack up the Headstock either. Look forward to the Titan pics :2tsup: