PDA

View Full Version : Consult the customer....are you mad????

gus3049
1st November 2012, 01:15 AM
I mentioned on another thread that I had sat down with one of my customers and redesigned a piece that his wife had bought after he didn't quite see eye to eye with his wife's choice!!

They are extremely good customers of mine so I would have been foolish not to have a go at improving things. This was not difficult as the piece was stuck on my bench as I thought it was rubbish!!! Not everything we do can be a masterpiece.

She saw it and liked it and persuaded me to part with it.
Once I had done the changes, they were quite chuffed enough to pay me for the extra time I had spent so we were both very happy to 'compromise my art'

I decided I like it enough to make another one with just a few changes to the outside. The captive ball was fun. I usually hate making more than one of anything but I actually found this one such a challenge that time passed very quickly. My wife can't see the differences apart from the scallop at the bottom so this one definitely passes its sternest test.

Anyway, Jonzjob asked where the pics are so here they are. The first is the disaster, then theirs, then mine.

Sturdee
1st November 2012, 01:35 AM
I like the new improved version much better then the original one. The improvement adds class to a somewhat uninspiring version. :2tsup:

Peter.

dr4g0nfly
1st November 2012, 07:28 AM
Me, I'd mix and Match.

I love the inner of the first one and would like to see it with the outer cage of the last, the two parts are organic looking and I think would make a fine match.

But the work in all three is very good.

Big A
1st November 2012, 06:04 PM
Only it's mother could like the first version.

"A".

MBM888
1st November 2012, 06:26 PM
Much prefer the third pic:U

Jonzjob
2nd November 2012, 11:45 PM
That ain't bad for you Gordon. You can't see any of the joins either can you :;

Even though they have got a finial I realy like the second 2. No little wonder your customer was chuffed.

Contrary to belief, the customer isn't always right, but they are never wrong. A subtle difference me-thinks.

gus3049
3rd November 2012, 12:34 AM
Thank you all for your replies.

I'm its mum and I actually didn't like it very much which is why I was surprised it sold. But in the end, both sides were happy, they got what they wanted and I got their money. Win win.

Jonzjob
3rd November 2012, 12:53 AM
I am so very disapointed Gordon :C:C There were I thinking that you were only doing this for the sake of the art in it :o

I dunnow? With all the money you have! I suppose it is a case of much wants more :D

gus3049
3rd November 2012, 07:34 AM
I am so very disapointed Gordon :C:C There were I thinking that you were only doing this for the sake of the art in it :o

I dunnow? With all the money you have! I suppose it is a case of much wants more :D

Yup,

Just a greedy bugger me:U

You are not the first to be disappointed and I don't suppose you will be the last!!

Jonzjob
3rd November 2012, 07:54 AM
You got yer new Roller yet? Will that be the second or third??:o:o

I realy can't understand the one wot will sell their soul for gold? It makes the shoes bleedin uncomfortable :D

wheelinround
3rd November 2012, 09:31 AM
Interesting works all 3 in the different guises.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I wonder how Leonardo or Tim Roberts would have handled such a situation.:U

Gordon I had to go check your links you do some amazing Ornamental Turning as well as many other facets well done.

Jonzjob
3rd November 2012, 09:58 AM
Our Gordon is quite some turner, but be a bit careful about telling him? He can't really afford a new Roller and wider doors to get the tété through!

The idea on your web site about using bike innertubes for straps? I have been using old car innertubes for lakky bands for years. They make the best BIG lakky bands and never break. I use them to store my ratchet straps that I keep in my car. Keeps them rolled up and ready for use. I hadn't thought about using the lighter bike tubes for safety goggles though. Brilliant idea mate!

Just remember though, not too much praise for Gordon or he will need some severe modification on all of the door ways in his life, cars etc.:D:D

You really will have to get yer bum in gear and get down this way to show me just how you do that stuff Gordon. It's only a few hours and we can show you some of the Cathar wonders at the same time!!

wheelinround
3rd November 2012, 04:26 PM
Our Gordon is quite some turner, but be a bit careful about telling him? He can't really afford a new Roller and wider doors to get the tété through!

The idea on your web site about using bike innertubes for straps? I have been using old car innertubes for lakky bands for years. They make the best BIG lakky bands and never break. I use them to store my ratchet straps that I keep in my car. Keeps them rolled up and ready for use. I hadn't thought about using the lighter bike tubes for safety goggles though. Brilliant idea mate!

Just remember though, not too much praise for Gordon or he will need some severe modification on all of the door ways in his life, cars etc.:D:D

You really will have to get yer bum in gear and get down this way to show me just how you do that stuff Gordon. It's only a few hours and we can show you some of the Cathar wonders at the same time!!

John I did also go check your site in part, had to race off up the street a neighbour in crisis trying to paint deckchairs and not adhering. (water based Cabots over DO):doh: I will get back to yours in time LOL.

Thanks I also use bike tubes for exercise. Old car tubes gee's wouldn't find any about here all tubeless these days. Might have to scavenge mates coach inner tubes :; lot longer and tuffer.

Oh now come on Gordon has some inspiring work there as does yourself.

ian thorn
3rd November 2012, 09:42 PM
I had a look at your site as well Gordon nice work by a very cleaver man.

Ian

gus3049
3rd November 2012, 10:30 PM
I had a look at your site as well Gordon nice work by a very cleaver man.

Ian

Thanks Ian,

Don't let Jonzjob know you think that, he already thinks my head is big enough. Not sure about the cleaver, how did you know about my favourite turning tool????

gus3049
3rd November 2012, 10:41 PM
Interesting works all 3 in the different guises.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I wonder how Leonardo or Tim Roberts would have handled such a situation.:U

Gordon I had to go check your links you do some amazing Ornamental Turning as well as many other facets well done.

Thank you.

I am still learning the trade so to speak. My problem is still gathering the technique to do what I want. I am still looking for that piece I can be proud of. As always, we see every flaw and how "i could have done it better"

Only way is to keep trying. Hope I find it before I run out of wood.

Jonzjob
3rd November 2012, 10:53 PM
Well, it has to house a very large brian cell :D Brian, brain? Not much difference :?

gus3049
3rd November 2012, 10:57 PM

One cannot praise me enough!! I am so lacking in ego, it would have no effect at all:;

We keep looking at the pics of your likkle town and saying we must come down and look around. There always seems to be something to do round here though.

I reckon you are just after my yew:~