PDA

View Full Version : Chuck advice

floody_85
4th November 2012, 01:55 PM
Hey guys. Just after some advice. I've been turning for over a year now. Mostly just pens so far. I've decided to finally buy a chuck. I'm looking at the Teknatool G3 for $169. I think it comes with 50mm jaws.

Is this a good chuck to start out with. I have a carbatec economy mini lathe so ill only be doing goblets and small bowls. What other jaws might I need? Also, not sure what size insert I need to get with it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Alby123
4th November 2012, 04:15 PM
Hi floody 85, regarding your choice of chuck you may wish to consider the Gary Pye chuck sets. This year I decided to get back into woodturing and looked at all of the chucks on the market place. I ended buying one of the deluxe chuck sets which has three different types of jaws in the set. Now you may think I'm not going to use the other jaws so why would I buy the deluxe set.
As you progress with your wood turning you will attempt to turn many different items and that is when you will say to yourself "I'm glad I bought that set now".
You may think this is overkill at the time of purchase but as your skills increase you will glad you thought more deeply about your purchase. The same may apply to your wood lathe , you may decide in the next 18 months "I want to get a new lathe with bigger turning capacities". Now when that happens if you have bought the deluxe set the only thing you need to get is a new insert to suit that lathe.
I hope this helps you on your jorney in this wonderful world of wood turning.
Cheers Alby

wood hacker
4th November 2012, 05:48 PM
I'd agree with Alby about considering the Gary Pye set.. I bought a deluxe set about a year ago and am very happy with it, and yes you do eventually use all the different jaws as your projects and skill levels progress.

cheers
WH

floody_85
4th November 2012, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the tip guys. Not sure what adaptor I need. The manual for my lathe says m30 x 3.5 spindle thread size. Not sure what that is in the sizes they list adaptors as

wood hacker
4th November 2012, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the tip guys. Not sure what adaptor I need. The manual for my lathe says m30 x 3.5 spindle thread size. Not sure what that is in the sizes they list adaptors as

Hi Floody. You can select the insert when you order it. M30 is one of the options.

cheers
WH

ian thorn
4th November 2012, 09:32 PM
I have 2 teknatool chucks of different types and the jaws are all inter changeable you can buy it now then as you progress in your turning you can add to the jaws you may want as you can aford them I have 7 sizes. the insert is what most chuckes use to fit the different types of lathes and are avalable in most sizes including yours

cheers Ian

floody_85
4th November 2012, 09:55 PM
I have 2 teknatool chucks of different types and the jaws are all inter changeable you can buy it now then as you progress in your turning you can add to the jaws you may want as you can aford them I have 7 sizes. the insert is what most chuckes use to fit the different types of lathes and are avalable in most sizes including yours

cheers Ian

Cheers Ian. That's what drew me to the Teknatool. The jaws are all readily available from carbatec.

The problem with the insert is carbatec list them as 1" 8tpi and so on. They don't have an option for m30 x 3.5 so I don't know which one to pick

Colin62
4th November 2012, 10:44 PM
Cheers Ian. That's what drew me to the Teknatool. The jaws are all readily available from carbatec.

The problem with the insert is carbatec list them as 1" 8tpi and so on. They don't have an option for m30 x 3.5 so I don't know which one to pick

According to the Teknatool website NOVA CHUCK INSERT/ADAPTORS (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathe_Accessories/adaptor_page.htm) you're looking for part code IQNS.

orificiam
4th November 2012, 11:30 PM
The 2 things I dont like about the G3 chuck, It's open at the back allowing dust to get to the gears , and to tighten the jaws you have to turn the key Anticlockwise
Apart from that a well built chuck.

Cheers Tony.:)

Colin62
4th November 2012, 11:45 PM
and to tighten the jaws you have to turn the key Anticlockwise

Catches me everytime... :)

rsser
5th November 2012, 11:53 AM
Catches me everytime... :)

Yep.

Mark the direction on the chuck with a felt-tip pen.

PS The Titan Powergrip jaws are not compatible with the other chucks. Have 3 screw holes.

Pat
5th November 2012, 05:10 PM
I have the G3, a few SN2's and a Titan. I can swap jaws between the G3 and SN2's if need be.

The Titan is a beast and used for holding the big Longsworth chuck or for big, heavy pieces.

wheelinround
5th November 2012, 05:14 PM
I have the G3, a few SN2's and a Titan. I can swap jaws between the G3 and SN2's if need be.

The Titan is a beast and used for holding the big Longsworth chuck or for big, heavy pieces.

Oh so I no longer need to make the 900mm or 600mm Pat??? Thats 2 less jobs I need to do this summer:p

floody_85
5th November 2012, 07:01 PM
Well I ended up ordering the Teknatool G3 from carbatec. Hopefully I get it by the weekend. So, where can I grab some nice blanks for goblets and bowls? I think i have a few sheoak blanks. I'd really love some camphor laurel blanks!

ian thorn
5th November 2012, 09:03 PM
Enjoy and have fun Floody and dont forget the safty gear

Cheers Ian

floody_85
6th November 2012, 01:25 PM
Change of plans, due to carbatec being complete and utter morons! So sick of that place and there Internet ordering! I called them to see if it had shipped and she tells me it's in back order. No one bothered to tell men that! I called CWS but unfortunately they're out of stock too. Thought the customer service was very good.

Ended up ordering the gpw one. Just the standard for $149. Hopefully it comes this week.

rsser
6th November 2012, 01:57 PM
The jaws on those will do while you're starting but the ribs on mine I find are 'rustic'.

You can retrofit VM accessory jaws by drilling the holes out by a mm. Much betterer.

floody_85
6th November 2012, 02:06 PM
The jaws on those will do while you're starting but the ribs on mine I find are 'rustic'.

You can retrofit VM accessory jaws by drilling the holes out by a mm. Much betterer.

It also said teknatool jaws are a straight fit. Are the vicmarc jaws much better and work drilling?

rsser
6th November 2012, 02:26 PM
I do mainly 'faceplate' work and with a bunch of jaws of both brands, much prefer VM compared with GPW and Teknatool.

Re the latter the VM jaws have less rounding over of the face edges so you get a more positive grip expanding into a bowl recess for example.

My most used chuck is a GPW Gen 3 110mm with VM 74mm Shark Jaws. Great kit for my applications.