PDA

View Full Version : Noise from headstock

rsser
7th November 2012, 11:24 AM
Just a quiet chick-chick-chick with the lathe running fairly slow while buffing a bowl.

Can't hear it while cutting or sanding; prob too much noise with those operations. Can't feel any unusual vibrations.

It's a Vicmarc 175 and I'm wondering whether the bearing thrust washer needs cinching up.

Before I 'go in' does the brains trust have other suggestions to consider?

jimbur
7th November 2012, 11:50 AM
Any other tools nearby - such as a gouge rocking back and forth.

ihmserv
7th November 2012, 12:08 PM
check the set screws on your pulleys, one of them could have backed off and slow speed its causing the click,
at high speed the centrifical force keeps it from clicking.
had it happen on my pm3520

IAN

jimbur
7th November 2012, 12:15 PM
check the set screws on your pulleys, one of them could have backed off and slow speed its causing the click,
at high speed the centrifical force keeps it from clicking.
had it happen on my pm3520
IAN
had that once too. Shows you don't learn from experience:D

rsser
7th November 2012, 12:18 PM
Ian, thanks; could be a good call. Will get out the manual to see if set screws are used or a key.

Jim ...

Paying careful attention here as the problem-solving guru has weighed in :wink:

Tools are down lower on the right side on rubber mat and shavings - but the right ear is not that hot. Left ear is better and is on the headstock side. Could have been reflected noise.

Have just tried spinning the lathe with a block of MDF pressed against the spindle. No noise but it wasn't that quiet an operation.

Can't hear it spinning the spindle by hand. Pushing and pulling on the handwheel shows up nothing but there's prob. only a poofteenth in it.

Maybe it was the bowl.

Heading back to the shed .... may be some time.

rsser
7th November 2012, 12:52 PM
K. It uses a key to drive the pulley and setscrew to align it. Screw was tight. All other setscrews ditto.

May also have been the 'new' Longworth chuck - its first outing.

Paul39
7th November 2012, 12:52 PM
Ern,

If you do not have a mechanics stethoscope, get a screwdriver or dowel 12ish mm in diameter about a foot long and put the handle end up to your ear and touch various points on the headstock while running or turning by hand.

You will hear all manner of interesting noises, maybe even from where the click is emanating.

jimbur
7th November 2012, 12:59 PM
Heading back to the shed .... may be some time.
Now where have I heard that before?:D

TTIT
7th November 2012, 01:25 PM
One of my chucks makes a similar noise under about 600rpm - turned out to be the tightening-hex-socket wobbling in it's recess.
Another one that had me looking around for a while was a thin shred of rubber hanging off the drive belt that was flicking against the housing.
The options are almost endless :U Have fun Ern :;

rsser
7th November 2012, 02:06 PM
Thanks Vern. It was my oldest proper chuck, a very well-used VM100.

The belt's looking good.

The noise is only happening under load. Slight load at that.

Paul, good thinking. Yeah I have a scope but to load and listen am one hand short. The missus was thoughtless enough to be working late today.

Can't backtrack to remount the bowl cos those bleeding Longworth chucks allow you to skim the foot. Knew it was a bad idea to depart from recess mounting :rolleyes:

Jim, I may be some *more* time. Will take the emergency beacon into the shed this time :wink:

rsser
7th November 2012, 03:18 PM
K, best I could backtrack was to mount the bowl in the Longworth chuck with the old VM100, and put some pressure twds the headstock.

Don't like standing in the line of fire of a new mounting device but needs must (musted?) to listen to the stethoscope. Fascinating to hear a change in pitch at the outboard bearing with such slight loading ... but no chicking.

This is shaping up to be the Chinaman's horse in the old tale.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

robo hippy
8th November 2012, 06:36 AM
I had a PM3520A and it started doing that. I traced it to a burr on the spindle lock. There were only 2 positions then, and a heavy 1/2 inch or so thick pin that went into a slow. Filed off the burr, and no more problems.

robo hippy

rsser
8th November 2012, 08:14 AM
Thanks rh. Will take a look.

hughie
8th November 2012, 09:21 AM
But tricky to diagnose via email :U But if you have a face plate use that to try and get the clicking going on the lathe that will eliminate all the chucks etc if its the bearings.As for belts clicking etc change tension on your belts, generally back it off some. Other wise its just a process of elimination over time,slow and annoying. :)

ian thorn
8th November 2012, 09:54 PM
There dosnt happen to be a hard piece in your buffing rag or a small crack in the bowl

Regards Ian T

rsser
9th November 2012, 07:29 AM
Thanks Hughie. Tried a faceplate with a block of MDF pushed against it with varying degrees of force. No result.

Ian, the rag was good but there were two cracks in the bowl. Could have been it.

hughie
9th November 2012, 08:46 AM
[ Tried a faceplate with a block of MDF pushed against it with varying degrees of force. No result.

That's good as pretty well eliminates all the serious offenders that will stop the lathe working.:2tsup:

jimbur
9th November 2012, 02:25 PM
Was thinking of it today. Had the car serviced and complained of a rattle - under the dash I said. In the door was where it was!