PDA

View Full Version : Ode to the Catch

Pat
11th November 2012, 11:55 AM
Ode to the Catch: Slowly spinning lump of suspect timber, standing out of the way, I'll try to get rid of some of the waste, An Oland tool I'll use, all going well . . . then thump, Lathe starts jumping around the shed, pretty good for it is bolted to the concrete and over 200KG, hit the "Off" button, Lathe slowly resumes it's original position, sphincter slowly loosens, cracked the tenon, blank gets placed in the bin, it's still too heavy to throw, reassure the puppies that all is well, wander in for an early lunch. Blessed Catch!

Christos
11th November 2012, 12:08 PM
Well.

What do you say after that. :doh:

orraloon
11th November 2012, 01:14 PM
I have had the odd scare with large unbalanced lumps on the lathe so now I spend a bit more time trying to get more balanced before I spin her up.
A recent discovery of mine is using an electric plane to take down the high points. Using the rest and turning the blank by hand find the high spot. Lock in the index pin and with an agressive setting on the plane take off the high point. Repeat with the other lumpy bits untill you have a blank that is a bit closer to balanced. It does not work on really wet green wood as the wet shavings clog in the plane but on anything a few months or more old it is really good.
Regards

Mulgabill
11th November 2012, 01:21 PM
Ode to the Catch: Slowly spinning lump of suspect timber, standing out of the way, I'll try to get rid of some of the waste, An Oland tool I'll use, all going well . . . then thump, Lathe starts jumping around the shed, pretty good for it is bolted to the concrete and over 200KG, hit the "Off" button, Lathe slowly resumes it's original position, sphincter slowly loosens, cracked the tenon, blank gets placed in the bin, it's still too heavy to throw, reassure the puppies that all is well, wander in for an early lunch. Blessed Catch!
I don't know Pat:no: Not ONE profanity, not even a small one??:roll:

Pat
11th November 2012, 02:30 PM
Russell, there may have been a few expletives, but with this being a "G" rated site, I chose not to include them. I think the Mods have enough to do, without a profanity laden ode being added to the forum:;

Mulgabill
11th November 2012, 04:10 PM
Good onya Pat! Just checking:roll:

Willy Nelson
11th November 2012, 04:39 PM
I have been using an electric plane for years to assist with the balancing before starting the lathe. But when I first saw the new prototype Arbortech Turboplane, I immediately thought of a new use for that tool which the manufacturer didn't think of. I only use the turboplane to balance blanks BEFORE powering up the lathe, great tool, easy to use, even one handed. Also great for planing a flat on the blank for mounting.

Willy
Jarrahland

I have had the odd scare with large unbalanced lumps on the lathe so now I spend a bit more time trying to get more balanced before I spin her up.
A recent discovery of mine is using an electric plane to take down the high points. Using the rest and turning the blank by hand find the high spot. Lock in the index pin and with an agressive setting on the plane take off the high point. Repeat with the other lumpy bits untill you have a blank that is a bit closer to balanced. It does not work on really wet green wood as the wet shavings clog in the plane but on anything a few months or more old it is really good.
Regards

Pat
11th November 2012, 08:20 PM
Pics of the offending blank. Some Blackwood, picked up from one of my trips to the wilds of Northern Mexico.

Size 250x200. Lathe speed about 500rpm. I had already had this blank eject from the Woodfast Screw Chuck and hit my arm, so I wasn't tempting fate with higher speeds.

wheelinround
11th November 2012, 09:06 PM
Pat thanks for photos.

Looks like a weak area where the knot has been. Tension on the chuck jaws and that dig in. It looks a top piece of BW and well worth saving.

I'd cut the damage off glue (24hr epoxy clamped) a tenon screw a face plate to that and give it another go. Maybe even back the rpm off to be sure for starters.

Hope the arm is ok.

gus3049
11th November 2012, 10:24 PM
Mine went just as I was starting to hollow out so fortunately, I wasn't standing in the line of fire. The cannonball hit the opposite wall with quite a thump:o

Pat
12th November 2012, 04:22 AM
The arm was just a bump, I always have the tailstock up for support and safety when playing with suspect blanks.

Geeze I might be learning somethink:;

Paul39
12th November 2012, 08:00 AM
Pics of the offending blank. Some Blackwood, picked up from one of my trips to the wilds of Northern Mexico.

Size 250x200. Lathe speed about 500rpm. I had already had this blank eject from the Woodfast Screw Chuck and hit my arm, so I wasn't tempting fate with higher speeds.

So center it up on a face plate, turn a new spigot on the bottom and have another go. Too nice a blank to burn.

I'm assuming you don't have a variable speed on your lathe and 500 rpm is the minimum. My 1995 20 inch swing Woodfast has been fitted with a DC variable speed motor so I can put on a big unbalanced blank and run the speed up until the lathe gently sways back and forth. As I cut off the out of balance I can speed up the lathe.

The below bowl came out of the lathe at least three times before I got it finished. Missed me each time as I'm careful where I stand.

It was worth the trouble, as it was the highest priced bowl I have made, and sold within two weeks of arriving at the shop.

orraloon
12th November 2012, 08:37 AM
Pat,
Looks like balance was not the problem but a weak spot at the tennon. It is a nice bit of wood so as others have said trim off that bad bit and have another go.

Willy,
I have had my eye on the Arbortech and mulling over a whole lot of tasks for it.

Regards
John

wheelinround
12th November 2012, 01:57 PM
Pat being that this is your hobby/past time I have been meaning to ask. ARE YOU HAVING FUN YET??? :q

Pat
12th November 2012, 04:51 PM
Paul, my lathe is the Woodfast M910, with variable speed. I don't think that speed was an issue, blunting of the HSS and an over zealous approach are.:doh:

I do have fun, I completed 4 bowls over the weekend, even the crackers Silky Oak one, CA held it together:U

wheelinround
12th November 2012, 08:07 PM
Paul, my lathe is the Woodfast M910, with variable speed. I don't think that speed was an issue, blunting of the HSS and an over zealous approach are.:doh:

I do have fun, I completed 4 bowls over the weekend, even the crackers Silky Oak one, CA held it together:U

Camera broken again :q

Paul39
13th November 2012, 06:07 AM

Wonderful lathe, mine is a short bed version of yours. I know well the results of an overzealous approach. I have gotten carried away while roughing and had the bowl come out. I am learning, patience, patience.

On blanks with bark inclusions or cracks, I will finish the outside and then put two turns of duct tape or filament packing tape around the outside before hollowing. Just for insurance.

Four bowls in a weekend, you are prolific!